Ideas to cat-proof backyard...

sbarsotti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

In an effort to make the best environment for my four cats (one of which is unhappy and stressed) I'd like to let them be outside. They're all indoor currently. I'd love to put a dog door in, for the convenience with my small dogs and to give them some freedom. I do not want them to venture out of the yard, however.

I've seen cat fencing, but it's all geared towards traditional wood fencing. I live in the desert- and my fence is block walls. One is 10 feet high (no one is scaling that) but the other two are only about 5.5 feet tall.

I don't want to do a screen porch or enclosure, as the yard isn't large and we will only be in this house for 2-5 years- so I don't really want to spend a ton of money perfecting it as our lifetime residence.

I also have strict CCrs.. So I have to be careful about what I can put up. The only thing that's come to mind is a trellis wall- but it might just be a nice ladder for them even with an angled top. And obviously, it's hard to attach anything because I have cinder block and not wood.

And of course.... Some cat fencing is less than attractive. With the yard being small, anything on the fence will be very "in your face". So.... Hoping to think of a somewhat pretty solution that I can at least do some creative gardening around.

We have lots of birds and bushes and some sun patches... They would really enjoy it I'm sure. But a couple of them I don't trust to leave the yard (I have one especially dingy cat that would get herself hurt in a hot minute).

Any ideas?? Any? :-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sbarsotti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks!!!! I think I can build something similar... Maybe at an angle and grow grapes on it. Mwahahaha. I just hope it's not so short that my especially spry tiny cat can jump on it at 5.5 feet high. She's a serious acrobat.