Ideas on using social media to get my stolen money back?

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To give a little but of background, without going into too much detail, I have had medical issues all my life, to the extent that I have restrictions. I'm not in a wheelchair, or visibly physically disabled.  However, my problems impact all aspects of my life.  I cannot work a regular job.  I have been trying to start my own business but have hit a roadblock because I can't find a partner.  The bottom line is, I have financial problems, mainly due to my chronic medical issues. 

With this in mind, a relative left me a small but significant sum of money, when he passed.  Shortly afterward, a sibling came to me and told me that a friend/business owner/co-worker was trying to avoid a bank loan and would repay me plus interest, if I loaned him money.  This person was, at the time, well-known and up-and-coming in his field. I was not investing in a business but providing a personal loan.  I was repaid, as promised.  This person came to me again, with the same offer.  Since I had no problems the first time, I didn't hesitate to do it again, since in my situation, with no income, I really could have used the extra money that was to be repaid. As it turned out, this person't business failed and I never got ANY of my money back.  Due to certain there were certain legal avenues that were not open.  Other attorneys won't even take the case, because they don't think I'll be able to afford their fees.  

The deadbeat has since, managed to open another business, without repaying me a dime.  I desperately need this money.  I was thinking about launching some type of social media campaign to expose this guy, who has been employed and now owns a new business, while I continue to struggle and cannot even get help, legally.  By the way, I don't qualify for legal aid because of certain family circumstance but at the same time, no one in my family can afford to pay for an attorney for me.  This is the only thing I can think to do.  

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can go about this?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take it small claims court will not cover the amount? The limit is 5000.00. That is free. You have to win a judgement against him and then you can put a garnishment against any income he has coming in. The only way to do this is to go to court and win. There has to be a lawyer out there that would help you and collect his fees from the winnings, you just have to find him. Do some research on the internet. With your long term proven disability, I don't know why you couldn't win a judgement against him on taking advantage of the disabled. As for the social media attack, be very careful, he can sue you for libel, so make sure anything you post is provable in a court of law. It is not libel if it is true. You might just bombard him every day with requests for your money back until he tires of you, or go to his place of employment, he wouldn't want his customers to hear of his not paying you back, you could sit out front with a sign. Just make sure you can prove to any cops that show up he owes you money.  Good luck, I will pray you get your money back.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Did this person declare bankruptcy after his business failed?  If so, be very careful how you proceed.  There are laws against asking to be repaid once the debt has been discharged in bankruptcy.

If he didn't declare bankruptcy, then you are free to go after your money.   @Di and Bob  makes some very good points so I'll just add a couple of things.   Have you exhausted all possibilities of low/no cost legal help?  This includes Legal Aid and clinics operated by law students at nearby law schools.  Call 211 and find out what kind of low/no cost legal help is available in your area.  Maybe all you can afford is help filling out the paperwork, but even that is something. 

Do you have a promissory note?  If you do, you have a fairly good chance of winning. If you don't, it's going to be a very hard uphill struggle.

One last point.  Be careful about saying this person "stole" your money.  Although the end result is the same, I am not sure that what he did legally constitutes theft.  Just something to look out for.