Ideally, how much wet food and when?

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We recently adopted 2 kittens, 7 months old (but one looks like she's not even 6 months, she's so skinny/tiny). They seem like they are always hungry! I feed them in spaced intervals, 4 times a day. I've been giving 1/2 can at each feeding to each kitten, equaling 2 three oz. cans for each per day, plus a "perfect portion" Iams sometimes thrown in there (on quite a few days). They have dry out that they can graze on all day, but the little one never seems to go there.

First, does that seem like enough? They almost always lick the bowls clean and seem hungry. (although if the answer is more, that's a lot of food, and it's expensive!) But alas, I will do what I have to, to make sure they are fed :D )
Second, is spacing out the "smaller" feedings a better plan than simply 2 feedings per day, but a full can for each kitty? I have no restrictions for time (as in, I'm a stay-at-home/homeschooling mom), so that's not an issue. So is it better for them to have it spaced out like that, or more at one feeding but fewer times?

Thoughts?

thanks!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
With kittens, they are pretty much always hungry. They have growth spurts where their little bodies need upwards of 100 calories per pound for growth. I'd be hesitant to offer them food more then your are because it would be hard to get them back to fewer feeding when they get older. But.... you could do more frequent meals of the same size until they finish growing. Then slowly start reducing the frequency of the meals. You could also leave out a bowl of kibble for between wet meal munching. Same thing of once they are done growing stop leaving out the dry kibble. While dry kibble isn't ideal nutrition for cats because of the carbs it is okay for growing kittens, just try to find a lower carb option like Doctor Elseys or Tiki Cats Born Carnivore.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my guys were kittens yours age, my rule was that if they clean the plate completely, they’re not getting enough, so personally I’d increase their portions. If they won’t eat it all that’s ok, they can always go back to eat more later on. It’s especially important for the smaller girl. Remember it’s temporary, as when they’re adult they won’t be eating that much. My guys were practically free fed several big cans of wet food a day but now they only eat approximately one 5.5oz can a day per cat. The change has come naturally, they gradually decreased the amount eaten as they got older.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My first cat Meffy didn’t each much as a kitten. A packet of Whiskas kitten wet food lasted me 3 days because she would only take a few nips then continue playing. Same for kibbles where 400g packet of RC Kitten lasted me weeks. She only started eating more after she was 1 year old. It was the complete opposite of my 2nd cat Meimey who ate the bowl clean and also cleaned Meffy’s bowl as a kitten!

I use a bowl with 2 sides so I’d put half a can of wet food (half of 80-85gm) on one side then about 3 tablespoons of kibbles on the other side. Both cats have their own bowls. That’s what I’ve been doing for the past 7 years. I’m not sure if that’s ‘enough’ because I’ve never monitored that. Had to run off to work in the mornings. In the evening they get the same portion to last them until the next morning. They’ve grown pretty healthy and normal weight.
The routine remains the same even if I’m at home.