Idea for Cat integration - inexpensive cat separator

pepper11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi Everyone, we just completed a very successful integration of a kitten into a home with two older females. To save money we built this 'gate' out of Masonite board with big holes drilled in it. We put up removable hooks on the door frame and tied the board to the hooks to keep the cats separated. It worked really well so wanted to share the idea here.
Cheers,
Lori

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thanks for sharing! That's a terrific idea when you're around or if you really know your cats and know they won't try to tear through the material. I have a feeling a determined cat could easily do that, so that's something to keep in mind. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pepper11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi There, yes that's true, I wouldn't use it with big aggressive cats. We were integrating a tiny orphan kitten so it was more to keep him safe while they got used to him.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Masonite is fairly sturdy. . .masonite pegboard already has the holes, that's an option too! Thanks for the tip!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pepper11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The reason we did it the way we did is the big holes allowed the cats to see each other clearly and touch but not fight. Also the holes are only at the bottom so it can't be climbed. Here's a picture of all my babies now :)