ID tags

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Now that I am definitely keeping my boys, I am looking for cheap ID tags for their collars. I found "Petmate by Aspen Pet Aristo ID Tubes" online, and they look like a neat idea. They are a little tube that unscrews, and holds a piece of paper with any information in it (that you can fit). Has anyone used them, and are they better than a simple tag? I like my animals having such things, just in case they get out, but don't want to waste the money if it just falls apart!

marycatherine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The tube sounds like a cool idea-- though is it totally waterproof? I'd be worried that it'd get dipped in the waterbowl, exposed to the elements, etc etc and would worry that my information might get blurry.

One of my favorite cat ID tags is one that says "if I'm outside, I'm lost". My cats are strictly indoors and I'm always paranoid that if someone finds them, they'll just assume they know the way home.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can get tags made at PetCo, I think. They have a machine that does it, at least in some of them. Our vet can also make tags.

I don't like to put a collar on a cat (all ours our microchipped), but we have two that are prone to dashing out.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Microchips are useless where I live. There's no shelter and I don't even know if the vets have anything to scan with.

If you're going to be writing on paper for something like that, use a waterproof archival ink - like a micron pen. They don't fade, bleed, and are waterproof.

Aside from the common tags that hang down you can get the tags that slide over the band of the collar and lay flat. I can't remember who makes them, atm, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right now, they have tiny collars, and I would think that the slide on ones would all be too big for the size of the collar. I am ok with the regular dangling tags, they are just bigger, and more expensive. I am hoping to find somewhere cheaper online to do them. Lucy still doesn't even fit her collar though, so I have to wait to even put hers on, lol. Her neck is little bigger around than the cap to a soda bottle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is definitely cheaper online. Ten dollars is a lot when I want three of them, and they occasionally fall off, etc. I will keep looking, I found some for three each, but without a size, and I need as small as possible.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Boomerang tags, and I like the ones that slide on: http://www.boomerangtags.com/?gclid=...FQrxDAodVyCZWQ

You can fit a lot of info on them and they aren't too big. They aren't cheap, but do you expect your cats to lose them frequently? If not, it's best to buy quality, they'll last longer. You can order a Beastie Band from with the tag included for $14.20, free shipping.

For cheap tags (they don't last long, best for cats who lose them frequently), check eBay. I've found some very good prices on there.

subconsciousme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this place isn't cheap, but we ordered my kittens collar (with tag info attached to the collar, so no jingling) from Etsy. This isn't my shop, so I hope it is okay to post it. They are absolutely adorable. We had to order through Etsy because we needed something custom due to the tiny size of her collar.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/PoochyCouture

Just for anyone who might find it useful :-)

ryffian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Boomerang Pet Tags makes great tags. The slide-on ones are pretty slick. Now granted, they're not the least expensive tags, but they seem to be of excellent quality. I have plastic hang tags for all my cats with "If I'm outside I'm lost" on one side and my name and phone number on the other.

And I also vote for a microchip!!