Ice Covered houses in upstate NY

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That place is about 40 miles south of me, on the shore of Lake Erie. We had high winds creating 14 to 18 foot waves, and in the sub-freezing temps, the spray froze on several houses. The same happened last winter to houses on the Lake Ontario shore east of Rochester.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen a few pictures like that on FB. The pictures are awesome, but it would be scary, too.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had some doozies of ice storms in Atlanta, but nothing like that. Those pics look like a sci-fi movie.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
:help::oops: Wow are these really homes? It doesn’t even look real. Man if that was my house I’d be real concerned about the potential for structural damage

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:help::oops: Wow are these really homes? It doesn’t even look real. Man if that was my house I’d be real concerned about the potential for structural damage
Not so much structural damage, but as the ice is melting, they are having problems with water infiltration. They showed the mess again on the local news last night. That area is notorious for such things, as a strong west or southwest wind causes what is called a 'seiche', piling the water at the eastern end and causing flooding or, in this case, 'ice houses'.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's amazing. The inhabitants would be forced to find alternative accommodation before they were frozen in I suppose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's terrible :( we would not live in such a place :(
Well I used to live in Cleveland on lake Erie and the lakes are lovely so big you can’t see the other side.

But the weather yike, why I went to California

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That happened at Lake Poinsett last spring. I thought there were similar pictures but I can't find them. I suppose people who have lake houses are prepared for that kind of thing. I wonder how much their insurance costs. . .

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in Niagara Falls in February once and it was like 20 below zero with the wind chill factor. It was bitter cold and all the trees and lamp post were covered in ice like the houses were. It was breath taking.