Ibs Or Lymphoma

elizabeth k

Trying my best to help neighborhood strays by TNR.
Young Cat
Purraise
My 15 year old male cat is really sick. On 11/13 he had a few drops of blood in his urine. I took him to the vet the next day (11/14). The vet did a geriatric blood panel and a urinalysis. The cat was fine until Friday 11/17 when he had some diarrhea, was very lethargic and was eating very little. On Saturday he had bloody diarrhea and on Sunday he was leaking bloody urine. Sunday night I took him to an ER veterinary hospital. They kept him overnight, did blood work, another urinalysis, xrays and an ultrasound. The docs at the ER determined that they suspected it was either IBS or small cell lymphoma. I would need to do a biopsy or ultrasound fine needle aspirate for a definitive diagnosis. I chose to hold off on these tests and picked him up on Monday. The ER sent me home with Cerenia, Mirtazapine and Metronidazole benzoate which I have been giving him. Yesterday we returned to my regular vet and decided to treat him for IBS. He received a Depo injection and we came home with some Hills Urgent care a/d and Royal Canin Recovery RS canned food. He got the shot about 13 hours ago and he is doing significantly better. He ate a little this morning but does not like either of the prescription canned foods. Since all of this started he has lost a lot of weight. For now, I am planning to continue doing what I am doing and would really welcome any suggestions from others who have been through this. His quality of life is my only concern.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:crossfingers: Crossing fingers the IBS treatment works out. If that is the cause he should continue to improve and regain strength. I am assuming the xray didn't show any mass. I would, personally, get a second xray in 2-4 weeks and have the vet compare to see if there are any changes that could be a mass growing.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I SO agree with the second x-ray. That could tell you much.

As for the IBS, the best person I can think of to help you with that is @artiemom. She has been battling this for a while now, and has lots of hands-on experience!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elizabeth k

Trying my best to help neighborhood strays by TNR.
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both. He is not responding. I am just heartbroken. We all know the day is going to come when we have to let go, but it is so hard. I am continuing with the antibiotic and appetite stimulant, feeding him the special diet and using a probiotic. He is not vomiting and has no diarrhea but other than that, he just lays around and sleeps. He will get up to drink some water and eat just a little. I have been feeding him with a syringe to compensate for his lack of interest in food. He has not lost any more weight. He was dehydrated at one point and received subcutaneous fluids a few times. He doesn't give any indication that he is in pain - I wish I could tell. He is so weak. He received the depo on Friday - if it is going to work, he should be showing signs of improvement and he is not.

The xray and ultrasound showed a thickening of the intestines, but not a mass. If we make it another week I will do another xray but I am not sure we will make it.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry your kitty is unresponsive. If the steroid was going to work, you would have seen signs by now. An ultrasound showing thickening of small intestines, given his age and other symptoms, most likely indicates small cell lymphoma. Small Cell Lymphoma does NOT show as a mass. It is an "infiltrative' type of cancer. Do not waste time with another X-ray.

Speaking from painful experience, your best option at this point is to take your cat to the ER hospital. He needs to be seen and evaluated by an Internal Medicine Vet at the very least, and if he can be stabilized, perhaps an Oncologist may be able to advise a treatment plan to beat it back. Small Cell Lymphoma can, even if in late stages, be treated to at least put it into remission and/or provide a better quality of life for a period of time. Do not wait until your cat is crying out in pain...it's too late at that point.