IBD…the mystery of it all

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve had cats all my life. Not ONCE was it a problem ‘til now. Never did my ancient cat loving relatives mention it either. Maybe it just wasn’t diagnosed “back then,” but now it is everywhere. Figuring out the diet & medicines definitely helps, but for me, it doesn’t explain the mystery of why now. I would also love to know if it’s a thing with ferals. Like, maybe they’re getting something healthy on the outside. Maybe it’s the can itself. Maybe it’s the way proteins are processed. I mean, you don’t see big wild cats diagnosed w/ IBD, so, what’s the diff? It just seems to me vets oughta be able to figure this one out.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's always been around. With medical advances and the internet, it's just more acknowledged. Think of 50 years ago..a child had Autism. They were just put into a psych ward and forgotten. Now, with the advances and knowledge about it, the child can be helped and live a long prosperous life. Not to mention it was almost always misdiagnosed. I think this is the same with other diseases. The internet has helped people realize what could be happening and vets are understanding more and more about feline disease.
40 years ago, I had to put my 17 year old cat down due to FUS (feline urinary syndrome). I don't even think that's a thing now and a UTI is easily curable. Perhaps, it was never mentioned to you by others 'back when' because they just didn't know what was causing the cat to get sick and die. They figured a cat only lives to around 10-15 years and that's it. Now it's different.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve had cats all my life. Not ONCE was it a problem ‘til now. Never did my ancient cat loving relatives mention it either. Maybe it just wasn’t diagnosed “back then,” but now it is everywhere. Figuring out the diet & medicines definitely helps, but for me, it doesn’t explain the mystery of why now. I would also love to know if it’s a thing with ferals. Like, maybe they’re getting something healthy on the outside. Maybe it’s the can itself. Maybe it’s the way proteins are processed. I mean, you don’t see big wild cats diagnosed w/ IBD, so, what’s the diff? It just seems to me vets oughta be able to figure this one out.
Genetics. Cause is unknown . Hopefully one day vets will have the answer