IBD problems. Again

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, my cat was doing wonderfully on this new food. Made with limited ingredients (or so they say) and only one animal protein- rabbit. For at least 2mo great! But then suddenly back to his puddle poop.:( It's been like this for about 2weeks. The only thing that's changed is I now have to crush his thyroid pill and sprinkle it over his dry food. It's absolutely tasteless, as I checked myself. But previous attempts at disguising the pill have all failed.
Doc says she wants to put him on Metro for a flare up. But I've read online it's got an awful bitter taste. So I would expect him to starve himself out first.
I've tried him on S. Boulardi with absolutely no effect. As well as Super Per Enzyme from Vitality Science. None of their stuff has ever worked for mine.
He's a good cat, but could be considered semi-feral at times. It takes 2 just to hold him down to get out his knots & put him in a carrier. There will be NO pilling this cat. I alsogive him about 1mg twice a day of cbd. Started that for inflammation. Amy thoughts or help would be most appreciated.
Is there any other way to go with flare ups? I don't want him to stop eating with bad tasting meds over his food.
Thanks. Pic to show what a sweetie he is.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I have a thyroid kitty as well and in the process of reading up about it, I don't recall at the moment if there's any other form of that med (like transdermal) :(

Slippery Elm Bark? (Note that this has to be given a couple hours prior to other meds, it costs the stomach and prohibits absorption). I've read that it can help with poop issues, but you'd want to do further research into it.

Unseasoned pumpkin?

A different probiotic? I hesitate to suggest this, probiotics can have their own problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, yeah I get it about the probiotics. Another reason I hesitate with the metro.
Pumpkin never helped him either. And apparently he's no good on ANY kind of wet food.
After I got him safely on this rabbit food with solid stool, I tried the cans. Same exact food.
But immediately started back to puddle poop. Then I tried Evanger's pure rabbit wet. Nope! Same thing. Having no luck. I think this medicine is $32 for a short Rx of it. And if he won't take it, what a waste. :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor guy, it's so frustrating when they can't tell us, and everything we try either doesn't work or has some other unwanted effect. :vibes::heartshape:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Metro CAN be made into a transdermal gel. I know this because I'm a terrible piller and already looked into it for one of mine when he had a bout of diarrhea and our Vet said he might need it.

Did the company who is making his food have a change in formula? Have you tried VitalCat freeze dried rabbit? It looks pretty good for IBD cats. Or Stella and Chewy freeze dried rabbit? You can feed them dry rather than rehydrating them, since wet seems to be an issue.