IBD/nausea/no appetite

Terri Moore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just went through a similar issue with my cat who ended up putting to sleep earlier this week after almost two weeks of eating hardly anything. Two things I wish I would have looked into 1) feeding tube earlier on...I didn't realize her normal vet could not give her a feeding tube, so when she was "hospitalized" there she received no nutrition. If doing this again I would take her to the proper ER and ask them to do it. 2) syringe feeding is something the oncologist said she assumed I had been doing, but no one had told me to do that and I had read online not to force feed a cat. She didn't say this until two days before we put her down and I had a hard time getting her to take her medications via syringe so I'm not sure it would have worked anyway, but I do wish I had tried it after the first couple days of not eating.
Good luck to you and your cat, I hope he feels better soon.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lisahe lisahe I appreciate the info that really helps! We really love her name, I do feel bad for ( and get a bit of a chuckle from) the poor vet techs/vets trying to pronounce it at first though. I will definitely check out the FGS. Also, my internal med vet seems to struggle a bit with the idea that she is super sensitive to meds. I think they did note how long her anesthesia took to wear off after the endoscopy and have adjusted her other meds given since then with that in mind. But even so, he wanted me to have her on 8mg Cerenia daily and I just can't do it. My primary vet recommended me giving her Cerenia at bedtime to cushion the side effects a bit and well, sleeping at night isn't terrible. I still long for the days of little to no meds though.
Yes, that's really a lots of Cerenia! Cerenia's a great drug for Edwina but preferably in those tiny amounts. I gave her what's probably only about 1-2 mg today: she's probably fine after regurgitating two days ago but not the weather's turning hot and humid... we're really been noticing how much the weather seems to bother her, it's fairly predictable. But hard to get used to paying attention! The tiny doses seem to take the edge off whatever goes on to make her vomit without making her lethargic. I think she's pretty sensitive to the pharma drugs, too. Like you, I'd rather do no meds if possible, which is why we're trying to lean on supplements and behavior modification (through what I call mediated free feeding, particularly at night, to help ease her food insecurity/anxiety) as much as we can.