IBD kitty

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Of course. But Mogli's issue isn't IBD, it's EHEC and resulting intestinal damage.
Mogli has had biopsies and the vets' diagnosis is IBD. EHEC is a food-borne bacterium. Why else would I be posting in an IBD thread?

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding! I thought it was originally thought he had IBD, but that it was found to be intestinal damage from the enterohemorrhagic E. coli. I know he's had extensive testing done, that was clear. :heart2:

And I have no kitties with IBD, yet I post to threads where people are asking help with IBD. :dk:

I thought you had an issue with vball91's suggestion to consider feeding raw. I thought the issue arose from your experience with Mogli, where the problem turned out to be a bacteria and resultant damage, not actually IBD, thus the sensitivity to the suggestion of a raw diet, just in case testing or bacteria/parasites hadn't been done already, and fat-related considerations (which didn't seem to apply to Caesar, because of how well he responded to Ziwipeak). (In answer to your question about why you'd be posting here if he didn't have IBD).

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To Caesar's Mom, there are different schools of thought on homemade raw food and supplements.

It really would be best if you start a thread in the raw forum - you'll get more input there. All you have to do is start a thread saying you're thinking about raw for your kitty, you'd like to know where to start - and maybe provide a link back to this thread, so you don't have to repeat Caesar's story. :rub:

I feed a supplemented prey model raw diet. I do this, because I don't have access to affordable grass-fed/finished or otherwise organic/naturally raised meats. I buy factory farmed supermarket meats (for the most part), and I personally question the ... "nutritional completeness" of the meats (given the components of the feed) vs. a cat eating wild caught mice, rabbits, small rodents, etc. (There was an article last year about how corn prices have risen so much, one cattle rancher turned to buying tons of out-of-date gummy worms (a candy) as part of his cattle feed. So just as an example... ).

But whether making ground or prey model raw, it really isn't as complicated as it seems at first. The main thing is to introduce new proteins slowly, especially for a kitty with IBD (and a kitty with allergies), but ultimately to have a variety of proteins (determined by their preferences and tolerances) in their menu.

Supplementation - and how much of what (and we can definitely help with that!) is really up to what you can source, whether or not the kitties like organs, and how ... precise you want to be. :)