IBD How long does it take for improvement?

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi I noticed my cat had diarrhea that wasn't clearing up.  He's active and has a great appetite.  I put him on the Veterinary EN canned and bought some fortiflora.  He's been on the EN for 7 days and I haven't started the fortiflora yet because I'm trying to be systematic in isolating what (hopefully) improves his condition.  So far no improvement, he poops a bunch of liquid and then some mud-pie consistency stool.  (Gotta love what we'll pay attention to for our beloved pets, eh?!)  I also held off on the fortiflora because it gave him the runs before - I tried to give it to him about 6 months ago after he had a UTI and was treated with antibiotics.  Anyway, my plan is to start adding a few pinches to his food, but was wondering if I should wait and give the EN food another week by itself.  Also wondering what other people's experiences are with this - there's a lot of information on the internet, but it's pretty general. 

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My shelter cat, Ruby, was not actually diagnosed with IBD (vet suspected), but for the first 2 months I had her she always had "mud pie" stools (perfect description, btw).  At that time she ate IAMS canned and kibble, plus some treats. 

Then after a bout of vomiting and a vet visit, we changed her food to canned veterinary hypo-allergenic only (with treats) and her stools literally changed to tootsie-roll shape overnight.