IBD flare up treatment?

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Those with IBD kitties, how do you handle IBD flare ups? My girl, who has eosinophilic IBD, is in the midst of what I suspect is another flare up after just having one a few weeks ago. She’s not wanting to eat much today, came very close to vomiting - lots of lip licking and some very unhappy cat meowing, and generally isolating herself. I gave her a cerenia earlier, which may have spared the vomiting, but she’s clearly still feeling unwell. My previous IBD cat never had flare ups so I’m not sure how often these things happen, what could have triggered it, or what I need to consider medication wise going forward? She only eats hydrolyzed prescription food and hasn’t gotten into any people food that I’m aware of. Also, no stressful events recently.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat recently had an IBD flare up because he apparently can no longer eat turkey or beef. The vet said to just monitor him for the day and then increase the pred dose for a couple of days. I have Cerenia and Pepcid AC on hand but the vet said I didn't need to give any unless symptoms continue for another day. Fortunately my cat was better by the end of the day and ate dinner, which I switched back to rabbit. By the next morning my cat was back to bouncing off the walls :doh:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ugh. She’s still vomiting and we’re on day 3. Cerenia didn’t appear to help at all. She doesn’t really vomit during the day but at night she’s up and down a lot. If she’s still vomiting tonight I think she’ll have to go in for another check up. Unfortunately my vet hasn’t sent home any steroids.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:alright::grouphug:

Can you call the vet and ask about starting steroids?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:alright::grouphug:

Can you call the vet and ask about starting steroids?
I took her in yesterday and the vet wanted to repeat her ultrasound and blood work. Bloodwork still showed elevated eosinophils but everything else was normal. Ultrasound report came be back today and she has increased thickening in her intestines. Going in for a full thickness biopsy to rule out lymphoma. Ordinarily wouldn’t do a biopsy but she’s only 4 and she’s not being super traditional for an IBD cat. So if it isn’t IBD and we wind up starting her on immunosuppressants, which my vet is thinking she might need IF it is IBD, and she ACTUALLY has lymphoma…no bueno. Personally I’m bracing for lymphoma, already moved some money around for chemo sessions. She got fluids and B12 yesterday and she’s started Pepcid since cerenia isn’t helping her. She started eating small amounts of Z/D today so I’ve got my fingers crossed.

ETA: No steroids prior to biopsy as they can mess with results