IBD cat will no longer tolerate wet food!

mphscat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes it is confusing. You feel like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Personally if she's keepng it down, at least for now I would leave well enough alone. Then once she's stabilized, THEN think about SLOWL transitioning to a food with better ingredients.

From person experience I do not care for BB. I am using canned Nature Variety Instinct and having good resuls.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
The Pride line by instinct is not pate and no carageenan. It comes in rabbit, duck, lamb, chicken. Also vets best hairball relief tabs sold on Amazon have slippery elm and psyllium. Cats eat them like treats. Very inexpensive!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have looked into the Pride products, but they all seem to contain different meats from what is listed on the front of the can, like pork, which I am not sure about and turkey, which I have been told not to feed her. They also contain spinach, which I thought was supposed to be bad for cats, and I have never liked the fact that clay is listed so high on the ingredient list.

ankitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The clay in Nature's Variety is supposed to be therapeutic. I think it's actually helping my cats. NVI LID is my go to canned food when their poo becomes loose. 

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I use rabbit Pride in my rotation and they like it, cats love the smell of pork, it encourages them to eat![emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128055[/emoji]

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe I will try it. I'm going to Petco today to browse the cat food section. I'll pick up a couple of cans of the Pride. I do fear that she might reject it like 99.99 % of the other foods that I have offered her though.

karma2222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The rabbit is mixed with pork because rabbit is such a lean meat they sometimes need to mix in a fatter meat - pork should be hypoallergenic for her because it is some thing novel she doesn't normally eat. It is NV "entrance" lower priced line so they mix the expensive ingridents (rabbit, duck) with cheaper (pork, Turkey).

I would try freeze dried food with your kitten before you feel the need to go down to vet food or dry food .... Or maybe try adding a different protein source to rotate. I had to switch around foods a lot when I was first working with my cat because he would do very well with something and then out of the blue started reacting to it. Happened with salmon and all red meat - he would latch on to a flavour only to not do well with it. Once I rmoved all the items he was reacting too - he will eat the other flavours he wouldn't before.

Hence, I always keep trying brands and flavours that he has subbed and bring them out every couple of months - sometimes he decides he likes something else. Crazy cats!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
SEB (slippery elm bark) is one of the few herbs without risk. It does need to be given 2 hours before/after any medication. Other than that, there are no other considerations to keep in mind. I'm truly interested to know what you think. You have any questions, let me know.
 Many of us, including me, have had some good results giving cats SEB.  But I wouldn't say there's no risk.  Every animal (and person) is different. It cannot always be substituted for prescription medications from the vet.