Ibd Cat On Prednisolone, Still Vomiting

leobug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone

My cat was diagnosed with IBD in early April. His symptoms were weight loss and vomiting about once a week. He was put on 10mg of prednisolone initially, and proviable, a probiotic. The vet wants him on Royal Canin rabbit/peas or duck/peas. I haven't switched him to that food. I have been feeding him different brands of grain-free wet food mixed with some non-grain-free dry food (I just wanted to use it up instead of tossing it) but no novel proteins yet.

Almost 3 weeks ago, the vet reduced his prednisolone to 5mg/day, and again recommended the RC food. Still haven't decided about that because from everything I've read, it would be better for Leo to eat grain-free, novel protein wet food. My plan was to finish off the dry food that's left and then try only wet food, probably duck.

However, even with taking the prednisolone, he's still vomiting. At first it was a lot less often, but after reducing the pred to 5mg/day, he's vomited 6 times in 18 days, and once a day for the past 3 days. It's a small amount, liquid (not food), always during the day when we're not home. There's always some hair in it.

Otherwise he is acting totally normal.

I have not contacted the vet about this because I feel like they're going to pressure me to buy the RC food, and I'm not sure I believe it's the best thing for him.

My questions are: does this suggest that he needs to be on the RC food? Is it possible that the steroid dose needs to be upped again? Should I just follow the vet's orders or should I try stopping the current food and move to the grain-free wet-only duck? What would you do in this situation?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The biggest test is if his weight is stable or is he losing? A baby scale can help with this. If he's losing weight then he is in trouble because this means the IBD is threatening his life. Grain free diets for cats is a marketing ploy, cats are obligate carnivores and IBD comes from protein intolerance. A novel protein may help, but so might an adjustment on the pred dosage. I would suggest weighing him 1x to 2x weekly, and talk to your vet. I had a cat ultimately die of complications of IBD despite aggressive managementment. You either get ahead of IBD, or you lose.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I think all IBD cats should be in homecooked or raw food. They need very easy to digest bio appropriate foods. Poke around on this site and join our FB group if you're interested in more info.

Start Here!