Ibd and bathroom with cats

js124

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't want to sound gross but when my cat first goes to the bathroom in morning he lets out a fart followed by loose stool. When he goes at night, it's perfectly normal. Is this normal? I know loose stool is an Ibd thing( for him) but why would it only be in morning? Anyone else with ibd cat have this issue? Thanks

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't want to sound gross but when my cat first goes to the bathroom in morning he lets out a fart followed by loose stool. When he goes at night, it's perfectly normal. Is this normal? I know loose stool is an Ibd thing( for him) but why would it only be in morning? Anyone else with ibd cat have this issue? Thanks
I had a cat with IBD and his stool was consistently loose.  Has your cat been diagnosed with IBD?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

js124

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK then you may want to discuss additional treatments with your vet as it sounds like the IBD while partly under control is not fully  under control.  There are a lot of treatments for IBD, and vets usually start with diet and if that doesn't work, progress to other things.

How is your cat currently being treated?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

js124

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
he is currently on one pill of presidone a day. He takes 2 1/4 tablet of Pepcid a day.

sometimes if he has a bad time he will get metronidazole for a couple of days.

he will not eat the prescription food at all(he was actually in vet for four days because of this ad other issues)

I now have him on wervuva which has helped a lot with eating, throwing up, and sometimes the stool.

It was ok for a couple weeks, then got loose again in morning.

He also has a heart condition which he takes meds for too

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ah ok.  The biggest issue probably for IBD cats with respect to whether they are beating the illness or losing to it is weight.  if they are loosing weight then the treatments aren't working and they need more help.  IMO any cats with diagnosed IBD should have his weight checked regularly so you can catch a downward slide early.  Even a few ounces lost if it continues over say 2-3 readings spread over about 1 week per reading indicates trouble and a baby scale is the easiest and most accurate way to measure this over time.