Iams or Science Diet

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow - this is a resurected thread and no mistake.
Originally posted in 2003! Must of missed the crash.

We have now switched to Iams (am going to try eukanuba as well). My lot have totally gone off royal canin. The canned Iams is a bit like pate and looks a bit sticky for little gums. At those prices though (over a quid a tin) I am glad they didnt like it!
I just wish they would eat SOMETHING. I fear we will be going back onto the Felix canned any day now.

duke816

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wasn't going to respond to this, because I really don't have much to add, but I saw a few people mentioning that Chicken Soup for the Soul cat food. I switch Smokie's food after every bag or two (for some reason I think that will keep her from getting picky?) and I gave that stuff a try once. It gave her the MOST horrendous breath and litter I have ever smelled!
As soon as I took her off that stuff, it all got better. I just thought that was pretty interesting.

Anyway, for the record, I've given her Kitten Chow (when I first brought her home) then Purina ONE for kittens, which she liked well, and then I've gotten her the PetSmart Authority stuff, which she likes, but I think it sounds like she's chewing on rocks or Grape Nuts or something. It just sounds like it would be breaking her teeth! I haven't figured out what we're going to try next, but it won't be the Chicken Soup stuff.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well when I first voted we were feeding a selection of foods now my cats are eating-

CATS- Royal Canin Persian
KITTENS & NURSING QUEEN- Royal Canin BabyCat.

kmonceaux

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed mine Wellness. They were on Nutro Natural Choice and loved it, but Wellness is a higher quality food.
They really love the Wellness...the transition to the new food went very smooth.

michellec32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I chose other...

I was feeding Jasmine Iams....but she seemed to be having some hairball issues and didn't seem to have alot of energy...

She does well on the Nutro Indoor Dry.......I love the fact that her fur is so soft too since switching foods...

Michelle

duke816

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tulip2454

What an incredibly pretty kitten little Smokie is!
Awww!
Smokie thanks you! She's quite a bit bigger than that now, but I haven't found a picture that adorable to replace it yet!

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my babies Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula. It has hairball control, and the much needed weight management for my FAT cat, Billy!
They love it, and it's not as expensive as Iams or SD, and it's so healthy for them! I would definitely recommend Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula!!!!!

mikonu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CJandBilly

I feed my babies Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula. It has hairball control, and the much needed weight management for my FAT cat, Billy!
They love it, and it's not as expensive as Iams or SD, and it's so healthy for them! I would definitely recommend Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula!!!!!
I fed that formula to Miko and he got fatter. Purina has worse ingredients than IAMS or SD. The first three ingredients are either, by-prouducts, corn, or corn gluten meal.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mikonu

I fed that formula to Miko and he got fatter. Purina has worse ingredients than IAMS or SD. The first three ingredients are either, by-prouducts, corn, or corn gluten meal.
Hmmmm... seems to work great for my kittys. I guess that's why they make so many different cat foods... because there is so many different needs for so many different cats.

mikonu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm glad it works for your kitty. IMO, I would not recommend this brand over IAMS or SD (even though neither brands worked for the boys). But hey, whatever floats your canoe.

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Funny thing, I found this web site while searching for advice on feeding my Tiny Princess, who was a rescued kitty my hubby brought home from work. She was bottle fed KMR the first weeks with us and then started on a prescription wet food from the vet, and wouldn't move on from it when the vet said she should. We had other kitties and had never faced such a picky eater before.

Prior to that I had no idea what was in the food, and just fed SD because I thought it was good. I read the labels now, and look for meat as the first ingredient.

Our babies all get the dry Wellness now. They have tried the Royal Canin, Chicken Soup, Wysong, and one called Organix (just got a small bag of it today), but they seem to favor the Wellness.

As for the cost, I have three kitties and feed two neighborhood beggars. We go through about 15-18 lbs. a month and that costs about $45.00 a month or $1.50 a day.