I wrote the Governer a letter (long)

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My parents told me that across from where I moved from a few months ago (my great grandmother's house) that was where the food stamp office was located for our town a while back. My dad and mom said that people would park their nice cars a few blocks away and act like they walked all the way over to the food stamp office across town like they didn't have a vehicle to get them there. Basically they would abuse the system and act like they were poor just so they would get food stamps.

People always abuse the system though. During Katrina, I had a friend who worked at Walmart at the time. She said people were buying things like XBOX's and TVs with FEMA money. That's partially fema's fault for not setting boundries on what they could and couldn't buy with the money, but still, people shouldn't abuse it like that.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

I seen something today that shocked me.

A women about 2 people in front of me in line today was buying about $300 worth of groceries (and most of it was junk food) and she used an EBT (food stamp card). Mind you this lady had about $1000-$2000 worth of gold and diamonds on.....necklaces, rings, earrings.... you name it! .....

The "Food Stamp" lady.... well, she was loading her goverment bought food into her..... 2008 Dodge Charger!!!

So when I got home, I wrote the Gov. a letter asking why that this happens?
Besides writing the letter to the governer, you can also report this person to your local social services department. But if it's anything like it is here in Minnesota, the social workers are really overworked so it might take them awhile to investigate your complaint.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's one thing everyone can do to fight the abuse of the system.

Register to vote, do the research, and pick a candidate that will stand against it.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's called fraud. Whenever there is money to be had there will be people who will find a way to get it even if they don't deserve it.

When the govt enacts new regulations to try to curb fraud, then everyone screams cuz honest people are being "punished" because of the dishonest few.

What are you going to do.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What needs to be done is a complete overhaul of the system. Unfortunately, that will never happen in this country. With services being cutdown and cutdown to nothing, I'd be surprised if it did happen.

Yeah, good luck with that letter! I'd be surprised if you got anything but a form letter with a stamped signature! Good idea, though!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lorie D.

Besides writing the letter to the governer, you can also report this person to your local social services department. But if it's anything like it is here in Minnesota, the social workers are really overworked so it might take them awhile to investigate your complaint.
I thought about that but without knowing her personal info, I doubt it would do any good.

This is what I received today from the Lt. Gov. whom I CC on the email

have received your recent email and appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Unfortunately, due to the volume of correspondence my office receives, it is not always possible to provide a personal response. Rest assured, my office will thoroughly review your email and you will be contacted regarding any required follow-up as appropriate. Please feel free to share your thoughts on other issues that are important to you.

To receive weekly news updates via e-mail, you may subscribe to the Governorâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s electronic newsletter at:

http://www.flgov.com/nftc_signup

Thank you for contacting my office.

Lieutenant Governor Jeff Kottkamp

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People always abuse the system though. During Katrina, I had a friend who worked at Walmart at the time. She said people were buying things like XBOX's and TVs with FEMA money. That's partially fema's fault for not setting boundries on what they could and couldn't buy with the money, but still, people shouldn't abuse it like that.
I saw A LOT of that going on when working at Wal-Mart, too.
A lot of the Katrina victims came to Texas, and received those FEMA debit cards. They were buying stuff like jewelry, designer clothing, big screen TVs, etc. The debit cards were meant for replacing clothing & food items - not for stuff that wasn't necessary. Then when Hurricane Rita blew through Texas, FEMA wasn't as willing to give out the debit cards b/c of the abuse that occurred after Katrina - which meant the Rita victims couldn't get what the Katrina victims did.

I'm glad to hear that you received a response, Dixie.
Maybe it'll do some good after all.