I would love to know what breed my cat is!

cynthiah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Joey is a very handsome White Domestic Shorthair. DSH just means no particular breed or unknown ancestryThe great majority of cats are not a breed. Cats are not like dogs that are usually a specific breed or a mix of breeds . There has been much less human control over cats' breeding. Only a very small percent of cats are selectively bred as a breed. Most cats instead descend from many generations of cats who have just bred randomly on their own and have a mix of genes from the general cat population in their part of the world. So in a way they are similar to a wild species. Usually if they have a little of some pedigreed cat ancestry it's not possible to tell This great random-bred population itself has a lot of variety in color and pattern , size, coat length etc.

Joey has a gene called Dominant White ( or Epistatic White), which overrides whatever other genes he has for color / pattern. One of his parents must have also been white. Those are some super cute pictures you took of him! he looks like a sweet cat. Welcome to The Cat site

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
He's very, very beautiful

You know to take care of white cats in the sun?  Hopefully he's in inside boy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cynthiah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Maekaew! I just learned something new:3 Your information was very helpful and I appreciate it:D

Thank you Mani, he is beautiful. And no, I didn't know he had to be taken care of from the sun. He loves being at the windowsill.
And he is an inside boy, since he is declawed he wouldn't be able to defend himself if he was an outside cat.