I washed my cell phone!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Wouldn't you know i had the same thought when i pulled my old blue Nokia out to see if the chip would work in it! That phone has really held up! My old Nokia -i swear i dropped it 50 times
and it still works as well as the day i bought it years ago. I'm soo glad i have it as a trusty backup!
The old phones are bulky, but they did hold up! This is why my DH refuses to upgrade his old black and white screened Motorola...he says the new ones are too light and he'll lose/break it...

I hope the rubbing alcohol works! I once used that trick in college to save a coffee-soaked laptop!

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dropped my pink razr in the sink-it was only a month old
AND it didn't ever dry out. It ended up working a few days later but the sim card(that's like the satellite, right?) wasn't working

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Worriedmommy

You might want to look at soaking it in rubbing alcohol. My DH did this when his phone was in water. I know it sounds crazy but the alcohol helps it dry up the water inside. Remove the battery and sim card though. Here is a link to help you with it: http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Wet-Cell-Phone Good luck!
I saw that on Good Morning America last week. Apparently it does work!

horseygal90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As long as you don't turn it on and leave it in a dry place to dry out, it should work again in a week (had a discussion with an Electronics teacher about it once!). No need for bowls of rice or fancy rubbing alcohol!

I soaked my old Nokia at Alton Towers once... I got caught in a massive thunderstorm and it got very wet! I didn't have a chance to let it dry though, and it hasn't worked since. Equally, my friend dropped hers in the bath, left it for a month or so and now it works perfectly.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I washed my phone about 2 years ago, it was a goner
but then this summer I was canoeing and got dumped in the river and my phone was in my pocket and it was fine!
I have also flushed a pager down the toilet

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I washed John's last year. He still hasn't forgiven me for that one. He had tossed it into the laundry basket so he knew where it was and didn't tell me. I just dumped all the clothes into the washer without checking first.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with the phone!

I have a red Razer, my sisters horse stepped on it and put a big dent in the outside, it got smashed in the mud and wouldn't work. They were guessing the mud is what killed it becaue I could still make and take calls for a few minutes after I found my smashed phone.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I washed my old LG phone I'd had for 3 years. It was a TOUGH phone ... dropped, thrown, run over, washed ... still worked great (except the "2" button was hard to press sometimes in the last month I had it). My contract ran out so I had to get a new contract in SC (the one I was using was still my old NJ number!) Of course, I got another LG
Hope I dont wash it though, I think I can only have that kinda luck with one phone!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, ya'll made me feel better!
I felt sooo dumb for washing that poor phone
It's still drying out in the cup of rice- i figure i'll let it dry out a week before i try and use it again. Hopefully it will work ok!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IT WORKED!!!!!
It worked! It worked! It worked!!!

Yea!! I'm soo happy!
After the whole "washing my cell phone with the laundry" incedent.... I took it apart and put it in a cup full of rice to absorb the moisture/etc after reading the trick online. I waited a few days and put it back together tonight and yea!!! It works

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I'm glad it worked!

Originally Posted by bnwalker2

I washed John's last year. He still hasn't forgiven me for that one. He had tossed it into the laundry basket so he knew where it was and didn't tell me. I just dumped all the clothes into the washer without checking first.
Sounds like his fault to me! I'd never expect to a cell phone to be purposely put in the laundry basket! I mean was there nowhere else better?

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

IT WORKED!!!!!
It worked! It worked! It worked!!!

Yea!! I'm soo happy!
After the whole "washing my cell phone with the laundry" incedent.... I took it apart and put it in a cup full of rice to absorb the moisture/etc after reading the trick online. I waited a few days and put it back together tonight and yea!!! It works
Yay!!! So glad it worked!!!