I was threatened!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

does he know what you look like?
No, but my address is not unlisted and he knows my full name. So I am a little nervous about that. But we are moving in 3 months so that's good!

The policeman did talk to the guy on the phone from our office and told him if he comes to our office he will be trespassing and that it's not a police matter yet but can become one very quickly if he isn't professional with us from now on. I had the file transferred to a third party vendor so I don't have to talk to him anymore.

The guy told the cop 'his side of the story' and how much of a 'female dog' I was. I swear up and down I was not even rude to this guy, I don't know how he can call me such awful things

eternalrx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i worked in customer service before and the worst part is that many people think that you and the company are one. we're not! so if the companies screws the customers in any way like raising prices or discontinuing services, then you are the first person they blame. i'm just trying to help! thankfully i didnt receive threats like this but i've heard some very rude comments and yelling.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

The guy told the cop 'his side of the story' and how much of a 'female dog' I was. I swear up and down I was not even rude to this guy, I don't know how he can call me such awful things
Don't worry about the "female dog" thing. You know you weren't rude; that's all that matters.

In my job, there are times when I have to meet with somebody who's done construction, but never did a land development plan. They are men; I'm a woman and....well, let's just say that sometimes it doesn't go well.

A few years back, a man built a large addition to his commercial property without doing a plan first. We found out about the addition and I had to meet with the guy. (It's all part of my job; that's what I do.) At that meeting, he was very courteous; he was upset, of course, but he was nice to me. His son, however, was a total a$$; almost 40 years old and a total jerk. In fact, he was so nasty that his father told him to go into the office and stay there until he could learn how to talk to people. I'm sure that didn't go over well with the son.

Anyway, we had to threaten court action and I did so in a letter that I wrote and was reviewed by my boss (due to the nature of the circumstances, he reviewed the letter before I sent it out via certified mail). The guy wrote a horrible letter to our bosses, saying that I was completely unprofessional, discourteous, etc. He was going to get an attorney; he didn't have to do this; he didn't have to deal with that. Thankfully, I had somebody with me during the discussion and he backed me up, that I was very professional, very nice, that at no time did I raise my voice, no profanity, nothing like what the guy wrote in his letter.

And there was one time when I was talking to a man who was trying to put an apartment in his attic....big no-no when there's no emergency exit. I'm leaning against the wooden railing of the walk and we're chatting. No raised voices, no profanity, nothing of any sort that was wrong. He wrote a letter to my boss that he was an old man and he feared for his life because of my temper! All I did was lean against the railing while we were talking. In this case, one of the neighbors was eavesdropping; I knew the neighbor and talked to her. She came into the office and supported me.

Men! (not all men)

Honestly, some guys have a thing about having to talk to a female. They don't like women in any kind of authority.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Gail to change your route to and home from work. I hope he is just blowing smoke!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago I worked for the bankruptcy Trustee. When people filed Chapter 13 bankruptcy, they would come in to our office to make their payment. This one guy came in very upset and the office manager had him in his office. They were both yelling and screaming and we were all scared to death. We just couldn't imagine why our Office Manager wasn't trying to calm him down and were scared to death of what this guy might do. Fortunately, it ended up okay.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They said he didn't directly threaten me. He would have had to say something like "I am coming there to shoot you with a gun".
Wow. IMO, just saying he was part of an organized crime ring and saying he was coming to your office is enough of a inference to be held for threatening you. What else could he possibly mean?

The police also said the guy isn't part of organized crime and that he was just shooting his mouth off. They checked his record and he is involved in fraud, but not organized crime.
Soooooooo, if they don't know about it, he must not be in organized crime? Al Capone was only a tax evader, right?

Could be he was just shooting his mouth off. Who knows? I agree with everyone else. Take all possible precautions.