I was so broke one time I.........

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was in college, I had no money at all. I sold everything that I own just to eat mr noodles. I sold a $1000 computer for $200. I sold my ps2 for like $70, that was back when they were still $200. I also went to the food bank, and the college food bank...who would give you some food and $20 for the grocery store. I had a credit card that I maxed out within 3 weeks and lost my job right after. That was about a year and a half ago and I still owe the full $500. I also owe an old cell phone bill and phone bill.

We used to make up excuses to the landlord for why we couldn't pay the rent because we rarely ever had $750 to give him. After 5 months, his parents said we could move in with them and we did. It hasn't been as bad since then, but his mom lost her job right after we moved in and we haden't gotten jobs yet because my boyfriends licence was suspended at the time.

I've never been without food because we always had the food bank to go to.

zoe'n'misskitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feel downright lucky after reading some of y'all's stories. It's great that most of us have been able to voercome our hard times...a lot of people never can.
When I was in high school, after my parents split up my mom was so broke that she ate nothing but rice and beans. She always made sure there was enough other stuff for me, though...but she couldn't afford enough for both of us. Fortunately, things have picked up a LOT for her since then.

Once when I was in college, the cafeteria was shut down for Easter break (Thursday through Sunday) and I couldn't get home...I had to stay with a friend in the next town because I had no money to eat in the on-campus snack bar or order pizza or anything.
And after I graduated, I was working at the welfare office as a sort-of social worker, and didn't make enough to pay rent on top of all my other expenses (car insurance, car payment, and student loans) so I had to live in my mom's basement for over 2 years until I moved in with my boyfriend (now my fiance).
Luckily I've never been unable to eat, or without a roof over my head. I'm very thankful for that.

malakai711

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've turned into a coupon queen!! I dont buy anything unless I have coupons for it... there's a store up the block from my apt that puts out the sunday paper on Tuesday nights... so Adj and I will go up there late at night and take all the coupon books out of the paper... then I sit down with the S&S flyer and plan out what I'm gonna buy based on what's on sale and what I have coupons for... my best shopping yet was $90 worth of groceries for $28 dollars!! I got everything for either free or very close to it... sad, I know... we've been eating hamburger helper for 3 weeks cuz I bought 10 boxes for $4... and I went shopping for chopped meat in my fathers freezer when he went away for the weekend.. lol

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been so broke I went food shopping and bought about 5$ worth of groceries. With pennies.

I've been so broke I went through the cabinet and found a can of kidney beans, a box of spaghetti, and some peanut butter...and made a meal. It was actually not that bad.

I've been so broke I had to call off work because I didn't have gas money to get there, and the next day was payday.

I've been so broke that I've food shopped at the dollar store.

Yeah, I'm pathetic...

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 10 Cats

I've been so broke I went food shopping and bought about 5$ worth of groceries. With pennies.

I've been so broke I went through the cabinet and found a can of kidney beans, a box of spaghetti, and some peanut butter...and made a meal. It was actually not that bad.

I've been so broke I had to call off work because I didn't have gas money to get there, and the next day was payday.

I've been so broke that I've food shopped at the dollar store.

Yeah, I'm pathetic...
That's not pathetic - that's really creative.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was little my dad would bring us to McDonalds, but we could never get McNuggets because they were more expensive than the hamburgers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by semiferal

I've had to improvise for toilet paper because I didn't have an extra $1 for a new roll. That wasn't fun.
Oh, we had to do that years ago as well. Amazing how creative we can become!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Malakai711

I've turned into a coupon queen!! I dont buy anything unless I have coupons for it... there's a store up the block from my apt that puts out the sunday paper on Tuesday nights... so Adj and I will go up there late at night and take all the coupon books out of the paper... then I sit down with the S&S flyer and plan out what I'm gonna buy based on what's on sale and what I have coupons for... my best shopping yet was $90 worth of groceries for $28 dollars!! I got everything for either free or very close to it... sad, I know... we've been eating hamburger helper for 3 weeks cuz I bought 10 boxes for $4... and I went shopping for chopped meat in my fathers freezer when he went away for the weekend.. lol
I just love my coupons, but half the time I forget to take them with me!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by semiferal

I've had to improvise for toilet paper because I didn't have an extra $1 for a new roll. That wasn't fun.
Iwould have taken my biggest purse to the closest store with a bathroom and stolen toilet paper from them!!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Iwould have taken my biggest purse to the closest store with a bathroom and stolen toilet paper from them!!
Sometimes I take rolls home from work

We get boxes of 300 count for the shop - so when I don't have time to run to the store, or running low on cash, I swipe a few rolls