I was in tears on the way out of Petsmart

etain

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

(but they do have spca cats up front on the weekends, and you know they pts kitties.....
If I had a bigger place, I'd definately take more.....)
I don't think our local SPCA puts the animals to sleep, in fact, they often take on very sick and seriously injured animals, pay for extensive veterinary care and then put them up for adoption. I don't know if they all operate the same way though.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know I have to say that I volunteer at a shelter & for some reason the cats in the cages there don't bother me, but the ones at Pet Smart made me sad. I also want to say that if your sad about the number of cats that need homes. Volunteer at a shelter, then at least you'll know your doing all you can to get them a furever home. I know what your going to say "I can't I'd end up taking them all home." My answer is no you wouldn't because you would know that no matter how much you love them it's better to let them go than to have too many.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

You know I have to say that I volunteer at a shelter & for some reason the cats in the cages there don't bother me, but the ones at Pet Smart made me sad. I also want to say that if your sad about the number of cats that need homes. Volunteer at a shelter, then at least you'll know your doing all you can to get them a furever home. I know what your going to say "I can't I'd end up taking them all home." My answer is no you wouldn't because you would know that no matter how much you love them it's better to let them go than to have too many.
I think that is because you KNOW that the cats in the cages at the shelter are getting lovin' as you are giving it to them, but do the ones at Petsmart get any? I, too volunteer & feel the same way when you say "I know what your going to say "I can't I'd end up taking them all home." My answer is no you wouldn't because you would know that no matter how much you love them it's better to let them go than to have too many." I am rather naive & think that those kitties in the cages have the perfect home waiting for them & given time in that cage, their perfect owners will find them!
I was naive enough to believe that people would look past Damita's age & lack of eyesight, but apparently some people are superficial & want a "cute baby kitten". (I'm off my soapbox now.)

Natalie, I know it stinks to see those cats in cages, but more people see them in Petsmart & it greatly increases their chaces of being adopted! I wish we could do something like that here.....

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a couple of similar type stores that have cats up for adoption from the Humane Society. I always make a point of visiting the cats, but it does really break my heart to see them in those cages and to look at their hopeful little faces, hoping that they will be adopted. Even sadder are the ones that have given up and sit there dejectedly! I adopted my Loki at our local Pet Value and had to go to the Humane Society to do the paperwork and go through the adoption interview and vetting. It's even sadder when you go there. They have a big room that they let some of the cats out into to play and you are allowed to go into the room. The cats just swarm you when you go in. When I was adopting Loki, there was a little cat staring out through the glass in the room at me and crying and pawing at the glass! I almost took her too! I've never regretted adopting Loki for a second, but the cats still break my heart when I see them there. I keep thinking, what would have happened to my sweet baby if I hadn't come along!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was in there today (buying for SS!!) and of course I went and looked even though I tell myself not to 'cos I always feel so sad afterwards.
They had a bunch of gorgeous kittens in there today. As soon as I walked in, they all started mewing, so I had to stay and talk to them all. I go to each cage and spend a few minutes with each cat. That way I can at least tell myself that I've brightened up their day for a little bit at least.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have to look at the kitties at Petsmart too. There's a couple of things that I love about the cats that are shown at ours. First, the adoption rate is VERY high. The only ones that are still there are Jack and Jill, a brother and sister who must be adopted together. In talking with the adoption manager there (she works with the rescues who bring in the animals), she said she can't believe they aren't gone yet because she's taken at least 8 applications for them together. She also told us that one of the rescues (Every Creature Counts) is not only a no-kill, but they have a huge ranch out in the country where the ones who don't get adopted go to live their lives in freedom. Both of the shelters that show there are no-kills. And neither of them show kittens there. It's all adult cats.

We did see one there, a beautiful black and white boy named Virgo, who really captured our hearts. If we weren't having issues introducing Ginger, he would have come home with us... He was 7 years old, and the sweetest kitty. If you stuck your fingers in the cage to pet him, he rubbed and rubbed and then gave kitty-kisses/licks for as long as you left your fingers in there.
I get teary just thinking of him. He was relinquished when his owner, who took very good care of him, was placed in a nursing home and couldn't take Virgo with him.
So you know it's just as hard for his owner as it is for sweet Virgo. I'm sure he was adopted that weekend, though (he had been there for less than a week). He was so pretty, and so loving.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand. Kittens are cute and fluffy and all. But I've always been partial to the adult cats. All three of the cats I have now came to me as adults. It's usually much easier then a kitten!