I was in a car accident this morning

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Going through the insurance company is the best thing to do. I know that a 21 year old driver is high risk so she is probably worried that her premiums will go up, plus who knows this could be one of many accidents she has had. She needs to learn the way things work and to start PAYING ATTENTION while driving. I am getting sick of all the 16-22(sorry to offend any young drivers) who think its a right to drive and act like morons behind the wheel. Driving is a privlage not a right.
Sorry to sound harsh but go through insurance. She hit you who cares how she feels.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Hmmm, There is a good chance that the insurance adjustors with figure it to be 50/50 fault since it occured in a parking lot. Unfortunately, the police have nothing to do with determining fault.

*In Ontario anyway*

If there is moderate damage to your vehicle, and you put a claim through, expect your premiums to increase.

If it was a case of being SURE it wasn't your fault (ie-you were rearended), then yes I would suggest always going through insurance. But in this case, remember, there is a chance you will be partially at fault.

Good luck.
I do understand that there is a chance it could be ruled 50/50 fault. But when the accident happened I was just about completely backed out of my spot and she had just started backing out when it happened. And if my rates go up they do I can't change that.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to work in a body shop- here's what you can do:
Since she wants to pay for it- go to a body shop and get an estimate- have them come with you so they can see whats being written up on the estimate, then they can decide if they are going to pay for it or not. If they are- tell them that you want the money before its fixed- have them drop off the check at the body shop. Make sure you give them a copy of the estimate.

Otherwise, just go thru your insurance, but I would check to see if your premiums are going to go up first, and they might even if its not your fault. It happens everyday, do what your more comfortable doing, but I would definately see if they will pay for it first, why not? If they give the body shop the money for the whole balance, I don't see a problem with it. We had a lot of people do that at our shop.