i want to volunteer to foster a cat

ixi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I volunteer at a cat shelter and we're in need of foster homes for the cats. I want to volunteer and my family is fine with this idea. But I already have two indoor cats at home. one is about 5 years old and the other is just a kitten. They're both fully vaccinated. But I'm concerned that if I were to bring in a shelter cat, my own cats might get sick. This is a concern because at the shelter, there are diseases and it's so easy for all the cats to be sick if one of them is. Do i have a right to be concerned or this is a nonissue?

THanks

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's absolutely an issue. There are real nasties that could end up killing your cats.

I often take any foster directly to the vet and get it checked for Feline Leukemia, at least, if the shelter hasn't done it. Then I keep the foster separated for a while to give it a chance to show if it's sick.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. Precautions are highly advisable unless you have good quaranties or your residents unusually tough.

Most rescuers do have some sort of precautions.
Some are very strict, including the foster usually not even meeting the residents. Changing clothes and washing hands in between.

By the way. As you tell your shelter isnt completely safe, you should have this routine: changing clothes and thoroughly washing hands before you reenter your flat, coming from the shelter.

Some have sort of in between position, like MrBlanche here.

Some dont have much - just barely. These have typically themselves residents who are ex homeless.
And in this case it is understandable: Successful homeless, being survivors, are usually of a tough weed - the not so tough ones dying off in the first year or even weeks.
I think they are also a little fatalistic.... Ie trusting their ex homeless fate.

Another variation may be healty, fully vaccinated residents who are used to roam outside.
Also in such a case you can probably have somewhat less strict precautions.

That said, friendly residents are often of a big help in socializing of shy semiferales.
Many experienced fosterers prefer to foster the semiferale alone, without residents.
But for a not experiecned fosterer, perhaps a new be, it is much easier to take help from her resident.

Good luck!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I rarely bring a new kitty into my home to foster until he/she has a least been vet checked, tested and has his/her first shots. The rescue I foster for always ensures this is already done . Sometimes, though, I'll run into an emergency fostering situation where the cat will have to come here before being seen by the vet. In those cases, I still arrange a vet visit ASAP. I'm fortunate to have a spare room where I can keep new additions completely separated from my own cats, which goes a long way toward ensuring everyone stays healthy. Even if a foster does check out healthy at the vet, tests neg, etc...I only let them have contact with my after a period of gradual introduction. My four cats are used to me fostering, so readily accept newcomers.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fostering is very rewarding and can be heartbreaking too. But the rewards always outweigh the latter. Always make sure everything is up-to-date, all shots are done, all testing is negative, and stools are checked and cats wormed, and on Revolution or Frontline for fleas. I agree with all of the above
and a foster room is a must. Always keep fosters completely separated from your resident cat all times. In the case of long-term fostering, then an introduction can take place down the road if you wish. I have done that and end up becoming a "foster failure"
. Much luck

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When bringing a new cat into your home, whether from the street or a shelter, you should always quarantine the cat for 10-14 days. The cat should see a vet asap to make sure everything is fine. Even if it is you still have to continue the quarantine period for 10-14 days since the incubation period could be that long. It's also important that you wash your hands between touching the new cat and your cats.

I don't think it's necessary to keep the fosters separated from your cats at all times though. After a quarantine period and getting a clean bill of health from the vet (at least for things that are contagious) you can introduce the cat to your cats and the foster cat can live like a part of the family.

If you are wanting to foster for the shelter and there are a lot of diseases going around there you may want to wait a while until your kitten is older. Kittens are much more susceptible to catch diseases and things that are no big deal for an adult can be deadly for a kitten.

If you're seriously considering fostering you may want to look into fostering for a rescue instead. With a rescue that keeps cats in foster homes you will often not have the same problems you would with a shelter. You also wouldn't have to bring the little kitty back to a cage at the shelter once you are done fostering. Instead you get to see it off to a new, good home.