I want to switch the advertising ON.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is what the bottom of my 'Edit Options' page looks like:

It's confusing. On one hand it's telling me to check the box to turn ON advertising. Under that, you need to check the box to have NO advertising displayed. ???

Either way, I cannot switch the advertising on.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I just looked to see what mine looks like. I have the advertising turned off, and there's a check in the box in front of "No advertsing displayed".

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you change that space - check the box in your case - it should flip whatever you have going on. (Turn ads on, i.e.)

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I turned on your advertising for you.

nebula11

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kumbulu

Still no advertising. I'm a paying member- -does that make a difference?
I don't think thats it...cause i'm a paying member and i can turn them on and off....plus if you weren't a paying member you wouldnt be able to turn them off to begin with....

so i dont know what it could be

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your profile in the admin panel indicates that your ads are on. The only 2 other issues I can think of are: a conflict with the Advisor usergroup, or perhaps log out and clear your cache.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I logged out and cleared the cache. Surfed the forums as a visitor and still not getting ads. It's not a biggie for me but it's the wider implications I'm thinking about.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you aren't seeing them even when logged out as a guest, then I really do not have a clue. It's only one banner ad along the top of the page.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I do see the ad's tag line: "TheCatSite.com Forums are proudly sponsored by Royal Canin. Click for the TCS members Special." I just do not see the graphic ad. Now I am thinking something along the lines of your computer. Perhaps Thomas can give some insight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK I can see them now. I spent some time exploring Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security andhad to switch off Ad Blocking, which looks like it's switched on by default.

Now that I think about it, there was a thread a couple of years ago either here or in the lounge addressing this issue. If people like or don't mind the ads, they should be able to see them so that TCS gets payment from the sponsors. I bet there are many who don't even know there are banner ads.

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone else use your computer so that there might be some ad-blocking software you're not aware of? You're seeing what I'm seeing (I'm a non-paying member) but I have most ads from most sites blocked with a 3rd party bit of ad-blocking software (I've never in my life clicked on a banner ad, and they just clutter up my screen and are annoying. Especially the flashing ones.)

Just a thought.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also recall that if you have a pop-up blocker, it may interfere with the smilie pop-up window.

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deb25

I also recall that if you have a pop-up blocker, it may interfere with the smilie pop-up window.
Fortunately I've never had a problem with that. I have, however had a problem with flashing ads sometimes bringing on an attack of vertigo
which is when I got rid of them. Problem solved

tortybunches

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm a firm believer in ads ... lol. The ones that get to me are the flashy ones, or the ones that are deceiving by looking like a popup window and you try to click the X in the corner, and it just OPENS the page. Urrrgh.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to hate seeing those half naked woman ads or those ones where they shoot at animals, with the Royal Canin ones I am very happy - if it supports TCS then awesome!!