I want to start Christmas shopping!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I keep hearing how Christmas is in 2 months!  That seems so soon!  I really enjoy the whole Christmas experience; from shopping and baking and decorating to worshiping and the family dinners.  But I don't enjoy crazy stores or feeling like I just HAVE to find a certain something.  I've been shopping online a lot the past few years.  I did some Black Friday shopping one  year and regretted it.  I was out looking for a few specific things that were really good deals; but I was so exhausted afterward.  I had cooked Thanksgiving dinner the day before and then couldn't sleep because I was so anxious about getting those things.  I actually; in my exhaustion, took a wrong turn driving home and ended up taking quite the scenic route home. 
  It might help if I had a shopping buddy; but that just means more ground to cover in those crowds.  Crowds are definitely NOT my thing!  I also feel bad for the people who have to WORK all that time!  Retail can be really difficult work! (Been there!!)

So I've been thinking; I'd like to be done or nearly done by Thanksgiving.  I've already seen a Black Friday ad posted online.  I'm not sure that my kids are necessarily looking for any of the "hot" toys of the year.  They don't really know to give me lists anyway. 
  I'm not sure I'll save much money.  I can price shop online and I'm pretty methodical about it for the most part; setting budgets and shopping from lists rather than emotions (most of the time).  I have a spreadsheet and everything.  We don't really buy much in the way of toys for them unless it's Christmas or their birthdays; so I do like to do it up a bit.  (I have friends who buy WAY more than I do; but who am I to tell them how to spend their money or raise their kids?)  

I have to ship things to my nieces and nephews.  My SIL and I trade wrapping duties and ship direct to each other.  It's so much simpler for us that way!  My husband works a lot during the Christmas season; so it's mostly on me to make the memories with the kids.  

I just keep thinking how nice it will be to have that done and out of the way so I can focus on the rest of the season.  Part of me thinks I should wait and not rush things too.  I say I don't want to be focused on the material side of it and the thought of shopping now makes me feel like I am.  But then I won't have to be later.  Or will I end up picking up some extra things once stores are all decorated and playing carols; so I spend more than intended.  I guess there may not be a perfect solution.

How about you?  Do you shop early, late or not at all?  How do you feel about the shopping standards that have become the norm these days?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Sign up on BlackFriday.com to get emails about what the stores will be offering. So far, I've gotten emails concerning Target, Kohls, toy lists from Amazon, KMart, and Walmart and some others. 

There was only one year ever when we had all our shopping done by Thanksgiving. Since the grandchildren were born, though, our DIL doesn't email us their wish list to us until Thanksgiving night so that we have it for our Black Friday shopping (yeah, we do go out on Black Friday). I am going to text DIL tonight; we have the new American Girl catalog and she needs to tell us what to order from that; our granddaughter is really into American Girl right now. We also donate money for Heifer International on behalf of the grandchildren. 

When our son was little, it was so much easier. He liked toys and toys. Clothes was off-limits, although he got them anyway, much to his dismay. One year when he was older, he came to me and said he just wanted money. No gifts. Just money. Rick and I talked about it and, on Christmas morning, he got money. Exactly what he wanted. Well, he got upset. He told me on Christmas night that he felt so sad because he had no gifts. And he said he'd never do that again. But we did what he asked. Sometimes you can't win.

I started shopping for little things: Rick's Taz ornament for the tree, "Meowy Christmas to You!" lawn flags for my sister and my SIL, things like that. I know what my sister wants; it's just a matter of ordering it online and having it shipped. (She wants some nice drinking glasses and some paring knives and I have it figured out)  I should probably do that, so it's done. I know for my BIL, too; again, it's just doing it. We also give them a wheel of Baby Swiss from our local cheesemaker and a nice bottle of wine.

We don't do much for Rick's parents. We pay for his mom's cell phone every month and, if they really want something, they just go out and get it.  They don't want anything from us; they always say, "Oh we're fine! You do stuff throughout the year! Don't worry!" Makes it hard.

My biggest challenge is always Dear Richard. You would think that, after being married to this man for 43 years, I'd have a clue. But he's difficult. He says the same thing about me. But I don't really want anything either, at this point. And there's nothing I really need. 

We just get what we can and then don't worry about it.

It helps having a Christmas club, although we end up using that money on the house most of the time. The other year, it really helped us with the kitchen remodel. This year, it's paying for the shed. Rick uses part of his club to pay the property taxes and I use mine on whatever our home improvement project might be. I know financial experts say that you shouldn't do clubs because you don't get the interest you could with other methods. But it works OK for us.

You know, I'm going to start decorating here in a couple of weeks! 
 I have off work for Veterans Day and will be decorating the kitchen. It's kind of funny eating our Thanksgiving dinner by candlelight and the lights from the Tacky White Tree in the kitchen, but by now, the family is pretty much used to it! Last year I said I wasn't putting the white tree up (largely because the darn cats won't leave it alone and they're breaking the lower branches). We got to the second week in December and I couldn't understand what my problem was, but I just wasn't feeling Christmassy. Rick knew. One night he went downstairs and brought up the box and put the tree together. That's what it was. It's white. It's tacky. And it's mine. 
 (And evidently, it's the cats' tree, too!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Sign up on BlackFriday.com to get emails about what the stores will be offering. So far, I've gotten emails concerning Target, Kohls, toy lists from Amazon, KMart, and Walmart and some others. 
That's a good idea.  I just did that.  I guess I should say I don't want to do the overnight shopping on Black Friday.  I'd have no problem going out during normal daylight hours; but not in the wee hours of the morning.  I see one of the things I want for DD on Walmart's toy list there.  
  Waiting is risky sometimes.  

I did get to Khols and Michaels today for some things I needed.  Kohls because DD outgrew some pjs I expected her to be able to wear again this winter.  I ended up buying the kids their Christmas jammies.  They had them out and on sale.  I knew if I waited I'd have a limited selection.  I snuck a few stocking stuffers for DD in our basket at Michaels as well.  I noticed Kohls is beginning to decorate and Michael's had a ton of amazing Christmas things out.  DD and I loved it.  At least she did for the first 15 minutes. 
  I went in for a certain kind of marker and came out with those and some things to make a new wreath.  And a wicker snowman hat basket.

Oh; my days of not getting requests may be numbered.  It was just DD and I out shopping and we passed Best Buy.  She asked to go in so she could play the games.  I think it was one of the ones from gameboy that she was thinking of...  I'm so not ready for that.....
 My biggest challenge is always Dear Richard. You would think that, after being married to this man for 43 years, I'd have a clue. But he's difficult. He says the same thing about me. But I don't really want anything either, at this point. And there's nothing I really need. 
DH and I feel that way after just 11!  
  For the past couple of years we've just pooled any money we were given, added some of our own and made any "bigger" purchases.  Like the tv, the computer, etc.  Last year he agreed to get my kitchen aid mixer.  

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
There is nothing wrong with being done early. I usually aim to be. I'm a little behind this year and probably won't do the bulk until after Thanksgiving, but that's due to my family, not me. It's great being done early and not having to deal with the crowds, but yes, you will end up spending a little extra when you see "Can't resist" things closer to Christmas.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Im basically done with my shopping already. I did all my cousin's kids already- a toy each.

My mom and I need to figure out what show to see for our annual broadway show (I get tickets for her every year for us to see together). We have nothing left to see!

I got my Dad tickets to see Monster Jam (the monster trucks)- he has no idea. something for us to do together. I also got us passes to get into the pit to see the trucks up close and meet the drivers. I think he'll love it.

My 3 nieces- I am going to get them gift cards for Claire's at the mall and a small something to open. These kids do NOT need any more toys. so I figure they can pick something out.

I don't get anything for my sister or Brother in Law anymore.. I am spending enough money on her kids. She agreed as I have no kids of my own.

My grandmother, who's 91 years old.. I'll get her annual sweater. She needs nothing.

and I picked up a few things over my PA trip to Kitchen Kettle Village for last minute gifts.

I don't have too many people to buy for- and that's fine with me! Can't afford it all!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We gave up buying for siblings years ago; when the number of grandkids started growing.  It just makes life easier for all of us!