I want to quit smoking...

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm a former smoker who still gets the urge to light up. But, when that mood strikes, I simply thing of a dirty, stale, full ashtray and the smell coming from it. If that doesn't work, remind yourself why you quit. When you want to smoke, simply say (aloud or in your head) STOP, and mean it. Trust me, I'm now smoke free and that's the tricks I used to quit.

Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I went and saw "Thank You For Smoking" yesterday and it made me want to quit. It's a great movie if you don't smoke, want to smoke, or want to quit, by the way--hilarious.

Anyway I have been thinking about it since I went and saw the Bodyworlds exhibit at the Great Lakes Science Center and there was a cross-section of a smoker's lung... I couldn't smoke all day after that but then I started again.

So, I'm trying to quit. Has anyone else? Any tips on what works, and what doesn't? I don't want to buy nicotine patches or be on anti-depressants. I smoke about 2 packs a week, lights, not that it really matters.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, you guys quit smoking and biting your fingers and I'll stop overeating and eat healthier too! (um, hurry up and quit so I'm forced to do it soon!
)

Good luck!

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 years ago in grade 12 ethics I remember that the text book said if you ever feel stressed, go lift a car
I'm not sure if that will work but I do have a couple methods that might. For smoking chew nicorette gum. Then the rest is will power. For the biting fingers, wear nail polish. Hopefully it helps.

touro1979

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I quit 9 days ago. So far so good. I was just sick of waking up and coughing and having a hard time catching my breath any time I had to run up a flight of stairs. I have been able to do it cold turkey, still cant beleive I have made it this many days. I have smoked for around 9 years between 1/2 pack and pack a day.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ryn

Good luck, a great decision! Smoking is unhealthy, discusting and enviromentally bad.
...I support to that!!!

GOOD LUCK!, certainly I´ll to send you Good Vibes to you can reach this wonderful Goal!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watched my Grandfather die in 2004 of smoking related illnesses and it broke my heart. Every hour or two my Dad and uncle would leave the room to have a smoke. I just cannot understand. I promised myself I would never smoke. I had a few puffs on New Years but it tasted like dirt. I wont suffer like my Grandfather.

touro1979

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have quit for 17 days now
, cold turkey. NYC gives you a month of the patch for free but I decided to try it cold turkey first and have done really good. I smoked for about 10 years, since 17 regulary but my 1st cig was at the age of 15. I feel so much better, dont hack up brown snot in the morning and have an easier time breathing. I have gained a little weight though but that doesnt bother me so much, its easy to hide weight when you are male.