I want to go on a date

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

If it is permissible within your vows to go out in public wearing regular clothes and with a dinner companion, why could you not do just that? Maybe you could go with a gentleman that is also committed to his faith and would not expect anything but a pleasant evening. I once knew a nun that had kept up a friendship with a high school classmate, and they would go out to dinner and a show occasionally. He even picked her up at her residence and knew the rest of the nuns that she lived with. No one ever batted an eyelash over it. She was as committed a woman as I have ever had the privelege of knowing, and would never have done anything improper.
I love this suggestion!

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trust me, dating isn't all its cracked up to be!
Do you wear a habit or are you a "plainclothes" nun?
I ask this because I think maybe it would be fun if you and some of your female friends/ fellow nuns organized a "Nuns Night Out"--make reservations at a fancy restaurant, put on fancy clothes, maybe all go see a play or you could even have a "mocktail" party with sparkling apple cider and fun finger foods.
That way, you'd have all the good parts of the date without the one part that can occasionally be dissapointing--the man!

Just a fun thought!
My girlfriends and I are a mix of marrieds and singles, the single ones wish they were married, and us married ones envy the freedom of the single girls--everyone wants what they don't have! Although, you couldn't pay me to be single again--it really can be miserable.

I do admire your dedication to your faith and am glad there are people like you willing to give their life in service to the Lord and others!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow. Lots to reply to this morning! First of all, thanks for all the support and understanding for my situation. You guys are awesome, as always.

LilleKat -Thanks for your kind words. They mean more than you know.

Doc-n-SamsMom - your take on the vow of celibacy is right on. Many nuns do consider themselves to be "married" to God and even wear a wedding band to demonstrate that committment. I starting wearing one after making my final (permanent) vows last year. To me referring to my relationship with God as a "marriage" doesn't quite define it, but I absolutely feel that "my life is his."

Tari - I love your idea of a virtual date with George. Ideas anyone? What should I wear? Where should we go?

Krazykat2 - Your idea of a night out with a male friend is great too, if I had
a friend who was comfortable with that. While I'd be fine with doing something like that most of the guys I know tend to be a little on the conservative side and would consider this "inappropriate." Some of my friends have really struggled with stuff like this, although they're doing better with it now. When I first entered the convent, I went out to a baseball game with a group of friends and ordered a beer. Most of them were shocked, which really surprised me. It's almost like they don't think nuns are human.

OllyExtra - I'm definitely a "plainclothes" nun. I do where a medal or pin most of the time which is the symbol of my religious order, but that's about it. I get told all the time that I don't "look" like a nun, mostly because I'm much younger that most nuns you see. I tend to dress a little more conservatively than I used to, but at home or on the weekends, I still wear
jeans and T-shirt or sweats.

A "nuns night out" is really fun idea. I know quite a few younger Sisters would agree. I'll definitely have to organize something.

Thanks again, everybody! (I'd still love to meet George whenever he's back in town
)