I Want To Do The Right Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ntrope

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Without going into great detail about Flower, I know she is on her way out. She is very weak and wobbles a little when she walks, but is still interested in exploring outside, she does not seem to be in pain and purrs when I pet her. She hasn't eaten any meaningful amount of food for several days now, even while on Pred and Mirtazapine. But she is drinking and has a few bites of kibble here and there. She is half the healthy weight she used to be, and I and my vet feel certain that whatever any additional tests might reveal, her condition is not curable. So my question is, is it right to let her live out the rest of her days at home and let her pass naturally as long as she doesn't appear to show any obvious symptoms of pain or suffering? She really acts normal in all other ways.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats are the ultimate stoics, and rarely allow anyone to see pain. However, she is still interested in outside, so she does have some quality of life as she gently fades. So long as she does, I think you are doing the right thing. When she will not eat at all, and loses interest in things, that is the time to usher her with love and attention to the Rainbow Bridge. I am so sorry you are losing your Flower. My heart is with you and her on this final journey together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ntrope

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I really do not want her final hours to be at the vet feeling scared and unsafe. She hates going and I don't want that to be the last place she experiences before she leaves us.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I understand. We let our kitty Skittles do the same--have some moments in the sun, snuggle up with us for purrs and petting, and living out her days quietly. But when she went blind and stopped eating altogether, we knew it was time. Fortunately our vet was able to come to the house for the euthanization.

My thoughts are with you and Flower. :hugs:

Ntrope

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When time comes to euthanize any of our cats we're going to use a mobile vet and do at home euthanasia instead of taking them in the carrier, in the car, traffic, office. It's a service in most major cities. The only reason they would be in the vet office is if we were doing more tests or treatment trying to get some last hope. That's how my dear rat ended up going at the vet's. He was receiving a nebulizer treatment for his pneumonia he didn't respond to so instead of taking him back home I asked the vet to end this as he was choking. He'd stayed curled up on my neck the whole way there in the first place so I didn't feel bad about the visit.

If she's comfortable and has something to look forward to then that's great. Right now I'm dealing with an old guinea pig at home and trying to weigh out her pain levels, quality of life, what does she look forward to, how much weight she's lost, is she getting enough fluids...?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You know her best and her body language. If she is showing symptoms that are unlike her usual habits then that's an obvious red flag but if, as you said, she is exploring outside, purring, drinking and eating a little then it appears she still has some quality of life. I'm sure you will keep a close eye on her as well as waiting for a change in behavior. Sending you special thoughts and hugs at this very difficult time. :hugs:

Ntrope

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since my last post, Flower continued to grow weaker. She was scheduled for a follow up visit to her doctor, and my husband and I made the painful decision to ler her go there. She spent her final day with a morning walk (although short and careful), and then spent the rest of the day sleeping in one of her favorite spots. I gave her lots of love, pets and kisses all day, and when the time came, she protested a bit on the way over, but I think she was ready. Our vet was so gentle and thoughtful. She passed quickly and without pain all the while hearing words of love from us. We miss her terribly and I see her in all her favorite places around the house, the smudges on the corners where she rubbed her face and out in the yard where she loved to explore. This was the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life, but I know in my heart it was right and my Flower girl is all right now. Thanks to everyone for their kind words.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending my sincere sympathies and deepest regrets. RIP sweet Flower. :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.