I want my kitten to use the bathroom outside

zoeyclaire12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have just found this kitten on the side of the road and she doesn't look but 5-6 weeks old and i thought maybe since she was so young it would be easier to train her to use the bathroom outside since she's probably never known to use a litter box. But everytime i take her outside she doesn't do anything, she'll walk around or just sit down. I just don't know what to do because I would prefer her to not use a litterbox. 

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Cats can be trained to use the litterbox quite easily. May I ask why you would not like her to use a litterbox? It's safer for her to be an indoor kitty, there is a lot of dangers for outdoor cats. Also, you should get your new kitten to the vet for a checkup, to receive vaccines, and be spayed. This is just standard protocol. Congrats on your new kitten!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's too young to go outside at all.  You can revisit this once she is older, spayed, and vaccinated.  For now, she must be kept in a kitten-proofed room.  She needs a litter box with non-clumping litter.

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She may have never seen or used one before but she'll probably know what it is when she sees it. All my cats did. All we did was show them to move the little with their paws with our own hands. One of my cats peanut whom I had since he was a few hours old knew what a litter box was when he saw it and learned how to get in it at a few weeks. He urinated in it, plus letting your cat outside isn't a very safe idea.

nathaliewhite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why don't you want her to use a litter box? For the smell or because you do not want to clean it? Perhaps one day she's outside and someone takes her thinking she's a stray. They want her to use litter box but no luck with it, they throw her out and you don't know where she is. Don't take offense to this, I'm just trying to help, people do these things. My neighbors barely poisoned a cat and killed it that way a week ago. I was trying to catch her so she would have a home but had no luck with it and since she was an outside cat, bad things happened. I hope you think about your choices! Get her spayed, vaccinated. It'll save you from trouble and money in the future.