I want a lazy house cat!

whiskylollipop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A few months ago, we adopted a teenage domestic short hair that we named Odin. He was a big, athletic moggie and we lived in a small city apartment, so it quickly became apparent that his activity level surpassed our ability to tire him out. He was messing up furniture at night, but red flags really went up when he began stalking our resident rabbits to the point where I had to lock him up if the rabbits were to get any time out of their cage to exercise at all. It wasn't the best home situation for my poor sweet Odin, so we made the sad decision to rehome him to a rural family with other cats he could play with.

Hubs and I are cat lovers, and we do want to open our home to another cat. But we'll have to be more discerning about picking the right cat this time! So my question is, is there any such thing as a lazy cat breed? Of course some activity needs are natural, and we can and would like to play with the cat quite a bit, but what's the most placid cat breed, that won't bother small rabbits and is happy to sort of meander purringly through life in a fully indoor apartment situation?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are 'lazy' and energetic  cats in all breeds, it depends on their personality. When picking your next cat observe them carefully, one that snuggles on your lap and lies by your side is one to keep looking at, it will take time to truly get a cat's personality and several visits. Even kittens display laid back and energetic personalities, you just have to be around them more to see which ones. Remember too that kittens and 'teenagers' almost always have a lot of excess energy and terrorize everything in their sight, that is a normal part of being young. Being laid back comes with age. Good luck, and bless you for taking in another,

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiskylollipop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your input. There is a 10 year old cat looking for a home that has been described as very loving and gentle, and I'm thinking her age might mean she'd be less into chasing rabbits. But hubs thinks we should get a small kitten, so it can grow up with the rabbits and view them as family members. Would that be wiser? What are the chances of a senior cat accepting life alongside small prey-like animals?

I'm also concerned that a kitten may try to play rough with the rabbits and accidentally hurt them.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens are super naughty. The chances of a kitten not playing rough with any other animal are just about zero. He may not see them as prey but he will see them as playmates, and kittens play rough. Your best bet, I think, would be to get an older cat from someone who knows the cat well (former owner or rescue foster home). You would still need to supervise an older cat with the rabbits, and if they're very small (under a pound or so) I might recommend re-thinking having a cat at all (I don't think it would be fair to expect any cat to suppress their hunting instinct completely! For instance, someone who wanted to have pet mice or small birds running/flying loose should not have a cat).

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Willowy; a kitten will think your bunnies are toys!  Even an old cat may have their instincts kick in at the sight of one.  I think you will need to supervise the bunnies free time diligently.  I have no bunny experience of my own however.  My father's girlfriend has 2.  From the sounds of it; they are pretty much right there with the bunnies whenever they have their free time.  I'm not sure if that is how most people let their bunnies run.

I think an older cat who is in a foster situation is your best bet to judge the personality and energy level.  If you do decide to look for a specific breed; you would need to find a breed rescue or a breeder to adopt from to guarantee that is the breed you are truly getting.  With many cats; even if they describe like a particular breed, there is no guarantee "what else" is in there.  That is why I think a cat coming from a foster situation where they've had time to get to know them is a good option for you.  Or it's at least a start.  There may be just the right cat out there for your home. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiskylollipop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are on the small side but not too tiny, the smaller one (Netherland Dwarf) is about 3 pounds and the bigger one (Mini Lop) 5 pounds. I would say that they seem a touch too big to be prey for a domestic cat, and would certainly match the size of the average kitten. A kitten seeing them as playmates is what troubles me. They bounce around quite a bit and can be fast when they want to be. That could tempt a kitten or cat into chasing them?

Then again lots of pet rabbit owners I've heard from or read about have cats as well, and regard cats as the safer and more agreeable bunny companion compared to dogs. Apparently bunnies are quite good at letting cats know what's out of line, and eventually cats would rather leave the bunny alone than face confrontation... But I don't know, I just don't want to risk any injuries, or keep a cat in less than optimal living conditions.

If the major consensus here is that kittens will be too rough with the bunnies, I'll probably look into older cats. The reason I'm asking about breed is because I guess I hear it a lot on My Cat From Hell, where Jackson talks about Sphnxes having lots of energy, Bengals needing space and exercise, Siamese needing lots of human affection, etc. Breed-related things like that. So I'm picturing in my head a grumpy, Persian-y, super posh lap cat who won't lift a paw to catch a mouse 2 inches away! Holding out hope. :p

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a Persian or Randall might be the placecto start if you want a purebred cat.

The more viable option is to get an older kitty on a foster basis from a reputable shelter.

Let the shelter know your boundaries going in, so they know your situation.

I've heard house bunnies and kitties get along well, too. Good luck!

artem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, a Persian or a Ragdoll would probably work, perhaps a retired breeding or show cat where you can have some idea of the personality.  Persians are more reliably lazy than ragdolls (and need a LOT more grooming), while most ragdolls are more demonstratively affectionate and have better general health.  Of course it does depend on the cat, but most well-bred purebreds I know show their breed tendencies to some extent or another.  My ragdoll is a favorite with all my dog-loving friends, who are fascinated by the fact they can touch his tail, while a few of my cat-loving friends find his constant desire for attention annoying.  :)  There are also some shorter haired Persian derivates who are also fairly sedate if you don't want to do all the grooming Persians need.  An older shelter cat is also an option but I would look for one that has either lived with bunnies in the past or been fostered by someone who has them, in addition to being a quieter cat.

If you want a kitten, an option is to get a pair of kittens.  Personally, I'm not anti-single kitten like many people on here, as my single not-really-a-kitten-any-more has been doing great since day one and I see as many multi-cat as single cat problems on this board, but in this case it could help if they have each other to wrestle with, as the bunnies may look less tempting.  But you're also taking double the risk one will decide they're a toy (I do agree they're a bit big to be prey).  I'd stick with a PB kitten in a lazier breed if I were you, if you really need a calmer cat, particularly if you do end up getting two kittens.  That said, there are quieter kittens, although you may not be able to tell which is which until 3 or 4 months.

manemelissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to own a rabbit, and at the same time I owned a rabbit, my brother owned a cat. My rabbit was a holland lop and weighed about 3.5 pounds. The way our lives and our pets were most comfortable was to be separated. I was scared like you and didn't want to chance my rabbit being hurt. When the rabbit came out the cat was placed in my brother's room. Or, I restricted my rabbit to roaming around my room alone. Being a small rabbit, he was perfectly happy having the run of one room for a few years, until he decided to jump the baby gate when I wasn't looking (seriously I looked away for like 5 seconds, rabbits are too darn fast!). He and the cat met in the hallway and she was so caught off guard that she turned tail and ran! The rabbit seemed to act as if she was just another piece of furniture in the house.

That was the only time those two were around each other, and even through the cage when allowed in my room, the cat was laid back and not into the rabbit. I honestly think she didn't know what to think of this "giant mouse-like creature". This cat was 6 years old when my brother adopted her; so she was well into her adulthood. My advice is to get an older cat. After that cat hit 9 years, she was the most laid-back creature, and while I can't speak to every elderly cat, the ones I have met have all been laid-back and lazy.

And yes, I have also heard that rabbits are not afraid to bunny kick a cat in the face to get them to back off.

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens are super naughty. The chances of a kitten not playing rough with any other animal are just about zero. He may not see them as prey but he will see them as playmates, and kittens play rough. Your best bet, I think, would be to get an older cat from someone who knows the cat well (former owner or rescue foster home). You would still need to supervise an older cat with the rabbits, and if they're very small (under a pound or so) I might recommend re-thinking having a cat at all (I don't think it would be fair to expect any cat to suppress their hunting instinct completely! For instance, someone who wanted to have pet mice or small birds running/flying loose should not have a cat).
I am sorry I have to disagree with this ... I got my kitten at just 6 weeks and introduced her to my rats immediately and my hamsters not long after. we had well supervised out times and interaction times. Now when my hamsters escape ( even dwarfs) she will NOT harm them, the closest she will do is bring them to me. This is the same method I used with my dog, who is a small terrier which also have a high prey drive. I personally believe its all about properly teaching and stimulating your cat. 

That said if you adopt a kitten I would keep them away from the rabbits free roam unless they are within arms reach until the cat learns.