I want a kitten

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya know, I think it's really cool that "stranger kitten therapy" is working for Zoey, LOL!!

G

ghostuser

Zooey is doing remarkably well... YOu never know, a kitten might actually bring out the mummy in zooey... That's what happened with Zooey Zoo Nuts... Before we got Mythie Zooey was always this really hyper, highly strung cat who was either sleeping, or racing around like a crazed lunatic, then we got mythie and it just brought out the mummy in her... she was constantly grooming Mythie, looking after, and then they eventually became inseperable... The only thing is that as i said before Mythie picked up ALL of zooeys habits!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was standing in the hall talking to my neighbor, and both our doors were cracked. Binky ran out of her place and straight into mine LMAO!!! Well just make yourself at home you little brat
Zoey didnt hiss today! She actually seemed a *tad* bit frightened.. and on guard if those are the right words. But as soon as Binky tried to go into my bedroom she quickly followed.. intrigued. They touched noses a few times too. He tried to go in her litterbox
I was NOT about to let him do that.. I think she'd be really pissed off

I think I'm just going to do it. (Dont know when though.. maybe my next 3 day weekend) I just hope the one I get will have the same or similar reaction out of Zoey and not anything worse.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Sicycat
I was standing in the hall talking to my neighbor, and both our doors were cracked. Binky ran out of her place and straight into mine LMAO!!! Well just make yourself at home you little brat
Zoey didnt hiss today! She actually seemed a *tad* bit frightened.. and on guard if those are the right words. But as soon as Binky tried to go into my bedroom she quickly followed.. intrigued. They touched noses a few times too. He tried to go in her litterbox

I think I'm just going to do it. (Dont know when though.. maybe my next 3 day weekend) I just hope the one I get will have the same or similar reaction out of Zoey and not anything worse.
Sounds like Zoey made a friend and is getting a new siter/brother soon! Can't wait to see who you get (or who gets you!)

G

ghostuser

Originally posted by Sicycat

Okay... before i get all confused again, you're not getting binky right? you're getting a different kitty? or you are getting binky?

Oh i'm so excited for you both... I mean you three... no no... four now...

Yeay!

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that's great!!! I know u must be nervous about making this decision! I was NERVOUS all 3 times when I was adopting another cat for my original cat, etc.. I was so scared that they wouldn't take to each other. With some cats, others were accepted immediately with no hissing or attacking but with some other cats, there were some hissing and fighting even with the introduction process. It might take time for Zoey to adjust to having another kitten so pls keep that in mind.

I was HYSTERICAL when I first adopted Zebra for Sunniday (now over the rainbow bridge)- Sunniday was MAD
at Zebra and me and wouldn't come near either one of us for a couple days and would be hissing like crazy while poor Zebra immediately ran for cover and hid behind a couch. The only thing I could see of her for the first week were her eyes glowing in the dark whenever I looked behind the couch! I went to work the first day and CRIED,
CRIED,
CRIED
on one of my poor co worker's shoulders(a cat lover who convinced me to adopt a 2nd cat to keep Sunniday company!). I told her I was thinking of returning Zebra cuz I just couldn't STAND to see both cats being so unhappy.. (at that time, I wasn't a member of this website and had no knowledge of the proper introduction process) but luckily Mary convinced me to wait a few months first and see how it went. AFter a few weeks, both cats were getting along fine. WHEW!

Good luck on deciding who to adopt.. That's one of the toughest for me- trying to decide who to adopt cuz I wanted to adopt all but of course I couldn't!

Pls do keep us posted! I know u and Zoey will have a BLAST with this 2nd kitten! I do with my 4 cats..

nora

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just saw this thread Sicy. I have been having the same feelings. I would like another kitty, but I'm not sure how Max would behave. Unlike Zoey, Max is a cuddler. He loves to sit on my lap and be cuddled. He sleeps with me through the night. I'm worried that if I got another cat, Max wouldn't cuddle as much. He was a feral kitten when I adopted him 3 years ago and is scared of new people and loud noises and I would not want to stress him out by bringing another cat into the house. Also, I've been thinking of the cost of another cat. Probably would have to get another litter box (where would I put it?), vet bills and all that. I wonder if Max got ill - I would want the resouces to pay for whatever he needed. I can go on and on. Right now I think I have decided against it.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Zoey will take the opportunity and become "mother" to the kitty - I think it is a good idea.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Yzma
Okay... before i get all confused again, you're not getting binky right? you're getting a different kitty? or you are getting binky?

Oh i'm so excited for you both... I mean you three... no no... four now...

Yeay!
You are so funny
Binky and Tom are my neighbors kittens.. they are staying with her! I have just been 'borrowing' them to see how Zoey is reacting.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pamela, thanks for sharing your story. I feel like Zoey might be mad/scared/weirded out at first but I think by her reactions to my neighbors kittens, it is very possible she will get used to a new kitten quickly.

Originally posted by Nora
I just saw this thread Sicy. I have been having the same feelings. I would like another kitty, but I'm not sure how Max would behave. Unlike Zoey, Max is a cuddler. He loves to sit on my lap and be cuddled. He sleeps with me through the night. I'm worried that if I got another cat, Max wouldn't cuddle as much. He was a feral kitten when I adopted him 3 years ago and is scared of new people and loud noises and I would not want to stress him out by bringing another cat into the house. Also, I've been thinking of the cost of another cat. Probably would have to get another litter box (where would I put it?), vet bills and all that. I wonder if Max got ill - I would want the resouces to pay for whatever he needed. I can go on and on. Right now I think I have decided against it.
Tell me about it. I live in a 1 bedroom apt. I would have to put a second litter box in the bathroom.. but my bathroom is so small I dont know how that will work. I think the fact that Zoey is not a cuddler and likes to have her own space will work to my advantage. While my new kitten is cuddling with me, Zoey will be at her perch in the window, where she spends like ALL OF HER TIME

The other things I worry about are like, what if one gets sick? They could spread it to the other one. Or.. what if one has diareah? How will I know which one
what if one throws up? How will I know which one? How do I keep their food separate? etc etc.. its a lot to think about but then there are the advantages. Two personalities.. watching two cats play.. etc etc.

dougbug

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
wow Sicy you should be proud of your girl, it sounds like she would do fine with another cat around, waiting for the 3 day weekend would be a great time to do it, im excited for ya, i know how bad you want another kitty, hope this works out for ya.

rfox

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just think, a cat to curl up on your lap, to sleep on your head at night, that wants to be held. That would be nice! Maybe the new one will teach Zoey these things!

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL yes that's what I am hoping ...

Although Zoey's morning routine will be messed up if there's a kitten in the bathroom
In the morning she always always gets up when I get up and goes into the bathroom to wait for me to take a shower. I will feel bad..

See I keep going back and forth in my head all these different things..

nora

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sicy,

I know exactly what you mean. Should I or shouldn't I and if I did would it ruin the connection and trust I have with the original cat. I go through this too. I think "What if Max is lonely" "What if I get another cat and Max hides and won't come out" (In my case) "What if he doesn't want to cuddle anymore" It goes on and on. Also, like me, you live in a small place and now you have your fiancee with you. Does he like cats? It's so emotional.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very emotional. My fiancee loves Zoey and he loves cats.. so I'm not worried about him. I just think about all these little things, pro and con and its just so hard for me to make a decision its driving me crazy

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sicy, I have no idea what is the right thing to do. We ended up with five cats (well - four for sure) because they needed a home and for various reasons we didn't think the "extra" ones we hadn't planned on having were adoptable, or we didn't want to put them through the stress of moving to yet another home. It is stressful to bring in a new mate. In retrospect, Lazlo would have been very happy being an alone kitty. But we brought in Sheldon to be his pal.... at first they slept together - but once they got used to the home and us and were no longer afraid, they stopped sleeping together, or even really playing together. Now, they bicker for alpha from time to time, though Shelly usually has the upper paw.
On the other hand, although Spooky and Tuxedo usually wind up with Spooky wailing and our running in to interecede - it always starts with playing together (Tuxedo just doesn't know how to not go too far). Spooky is happy with other kitties around, even though she always starts out scared of them at first. And Tuxedo LOVES having another kitty to play with him. And I think the two of them delight in waking us up by tearing across the bed (stampeding across us) at 100 miles an hour while playing chase at 1:00, 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning, the little devils

If you do decide to bring a kitten in, I just wanted to say we found an easy way to keep the food issue separate. The little kitty will eat out of Zoey's food dish, but will probably eat his/her kitten food too. Get a rubbermaid type storage container, and cut a small hole in it - large enough for little kitty to get in and out of, but too small for Zoey. Just make sure the container you get is large enough so that Zoey can't reach the dish by squeezing in up to her shoulder and waving her paw around.
(As you can tell, I speak from experience, LOL!)

Whatever decision you make, I hope it works well for all of you.

nora

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is something I never thought of. Max sleeps through the night now. If I got another cat - would they run through the house at all hours of the night?