I want a cat but allergies...

Sammcw97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My girlfriend and I want to adopt a cat but she's allergic to cats. Her symptoms around cats include: puffy eyes, itching eyes and sneezing. We were thinking about going to an allergist to get her shots but found out that the shots aren't guaranteed to work. We've seen some tips online but not sure if they'll work. We would hate to adopt a cat just for my girlfriend to be severely allergic to it and can't do anything about it.

When she takes Zyrtec she doesn't have any symptoms around cats, but I've heard that after time the Zyrtec won't be affective. I've also heard to get a purifier, put cat on raw food diet, bathe the cat with special shampoo, and clean everything (inside house) atleast once per week.

Do you think these tips are good enough to get a cat or should we just avoid getting one all together?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I want to make it clear that I have no allergies....being in a room full of cats, Chanel No. 5, and pollen would not phase me....so this all might be urban legend. I have a dear friend in Maine who swears that the fact that she has a Himalayan cat has allowed her to own a cat all these years. She also mentioned that Balinese and Siberian are less allergenic breeds.I have not owned a purebred cat either, for that matter.

I don't know if hairless cats are any better in that department. Using a vacuum with a hepa filter and having very little in the way of material...carpeting, drapes, etc might also help.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A raw diet won't make any cat less allergenic. Frequent bathing may dry out the cat's skin and cause itchiness, not to mention most cats hate baths.

Some people say it's the cat's saliva that is the cause of allergic reactions in people.

There's a TCS article that may be helpful:

Some old threads:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
IMG_3290.GIF
Sammcw97, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
IMG_3117.GIF
to you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: Honestly, every situation is different since every person will react differently. A lot depends on your immune system and how diligent you are in reducing the allergens in your home. For example, if you have carpet it's more difficult to clean than tile or hardwood floors. Certain window treatments collect dust, etc. As for me, I'm allergic to cats and dogs but have had both for a very long time and fortunately my allergies have not worsened. It's also a personal choice, I could not live without animals so I take medication, regularly groom my pets, etc. If your gf falls in love with the right cat I hope she will find him or her irresistible.:catlove:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
ALL of the above is correct...and I will add that some people have found that they become less sensitive to their own animal over time.

There are alternatives to Zyrtec. I'd try a few of them...take a pill, go around a cat. See what works. Find two or three you can rely on, and rotate them annually to keep from building a resistance.

Since it is saliva that causes the reaction, a hairless cat is "iffy", but there is no hair to trap saliva, which would help. They do have a LOT of extra requirements (weekly bathing, sweaters most of the time, NO outside trips without sunblock). Other than that, both the Cornish and the Devon Rex breeds cause fewer reaction, due to their coats, as well as the Siberian and the Balinese, which produce less of the Fel D1 protein, which is the culprit that causes allergies.