I wanna see your torties!!!

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Miki, up close and personal

Sniffing around the vet's office while I was boarding her there.

Pic I took to send to my mom.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Soka

Just a question, but what breeds create a tortie?
Torties are a characteristic of cat genes and show up in the regular cat population. With the exception of a few breeds and isolated populations, cat breeding really started during the Victorian era. The great cat exhibition held in Great Britain in 1871 is traditionally considered to mark the beginning of the era of international cat breeding. Cat breeds are cats carefully selected for a given set of characteristics in a way that enhances those characteristics.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No matter what angle or what type of lighting Lily always comes out with orange eyes. They are actually a lovely Siamese blue!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a lot of lovely tortie babies! I'm not biased, of course...

Cindy

Ok, I'll stop now.

soka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All of these torties are just so adorable, not to mention beautiful.

butterflydream

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pandora is our baby. She's a couple weeks older than when that picture was taken. But our digital cam is missing it's charger...we haven't found it since we've moved it must be in a box somewhere...probably in the attic.

We thought she was injured/broke leg, a week ago..after my daughter decided to play rough with her, but it turned out that she only sprained it and is doing just fine now.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm....I always thought torties were strictly either brown and black or grey and orange (dilute) with NO white. The exception being maybe a small patch of white somewhere.
My tortie is in my siggy.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I've looked at several sites and it just gets confusing when I read them. Calicos have the colors broken into distinct patterns; torties have the black and orange blending but can have white.

At the wiki site, they have one picture they describe as a calico and then another as a tortie with white but they are very similar.

This is Lucy's opinion on the whole matter.

yuna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
here are some pic's of my tortie... leeloo

as a baby

a bit older

under the tree!

and now! two years old almost!

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

I've looked at several sites and it just gets confusing when I read them. Calicos have the colors broken into distinct patterns; torties have the black and orange blending but can have white.

At the wiki site, they have one picture they describe as a calico and then another as a tortie with white but they are very similar.

This is Lucy's opinion on the whole matter.
It is a bit confusing. I would have said both cats were calicos since the second one also has distinct patterns, not mixed up (it was a little dark, maybe I just couldn't see it that well.....
I agree with Lucy's opinion!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The very basic, simplest explaination is that Calicos are patched and Torties are brindled.