I trapped before

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't beat yourself up over your decision.  You made the right decision given your situation and you did more for her than most other people would do for a stray cat.  By ending her life humanely, you saved her a lonely and possibly drawn out and painful death.  The reality is, we all do what we can in our given situations and sometimes it isn't the happy ending we would want for the cat.  I commend you for all you have done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sukeyforcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
dear Dahlia, Thank you for your kind words. At one point my veterinarian asked if anyone else could give Sweetie a home, a single cat home.  I know he was just trying to think of ways she could stay alive, but in reality I live in NY among probably nine large apartment buildings, i fed her every day for almost a year twice a day and nobody showed any interest in what i was doing. One neighbor did call me often to ask about Sweetie but she can't have a cat (husband allergic), she just wanted to support me and know how it was going. Sweetie was my responsibility and in the end i couldn't give her anything.

sukeyforcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dear Feralvr,

Please write me one more time. You helped so much with trapping and preparing for Sweetie to be part of my family. It would be so good to hear from you once more.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH SWEETIE.............. :bawling: :bawling2: I AM SO SO SO SO SORRY!!!! :alright: Please know that my not attending to your thread has NOTHING at all on the outcome of dear Sweetie. I had a shocking death of a family member and that, and ONLY that, has kept me away. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: I am so sorry it took me a few days to reply. :hugs:

Listen, honey. YOU DID THE RIGHT THING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your HEART was in the right place from start to finish. :heart3: I have been in your shoes before as I am sure other rescuers have been too. PLEASE KNOW THIS.............. you SAVED Sweetie from an awful, horrible, suffering death all on her own out there alone in the wild. Believe me, hun, she would have suffered with this deadly disease. No doubt about it. YOU :angel: took her in with the greatest intentions and you will be blessed for being so loving. There is a special place in heaven for people like you. :heart2:

I am certain that Sweetie was not feeling well out there. That is probably why she disappeared for a few days here and there. You HAD to let her go, sweetie. When we rescue these poor little ones, we put our hearts on the line and sometimes our hearts will take such a beating over outcomes like this one. But, you have to realize that in the scheme of all of this, you actually saved little Sweetie from something much worse. She probably was reaching out to you and knew she was unwell and KNEW you were the one to help her to the :rbheart: bridge. She knew that you were going to be her angel on this earth and she will always be watching over you. :9: :Moon: :Shooting Star: :rbheart: AND, you sent her to the bridge with a beautiful name !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You STAY strong, please. You are very courageous and please keep on doing what you do for kitties. We all need people like you on this planet and more importantly, the kitties need you. :hugs: There is no greater love than the love you showed Sweetie.

FLY FREELY, dear Sweetie......... and know you were loved by the special woman who took you in and freed you to a better place. :rbheart: :heart3: :angel:

Last edited:

sukeyforcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dear Feralvr,

Thank you, thank you for your kind words. I am so very sorry you suffered a death in your family. I hope all of you were able to comfort each other a little and share fond memories. I found that even time does not ease the pain but as days go on you find you must get back to the routines and go on with life. It is not easy. You just do it.

What you wrote me about Sweetie is more generous and kind than I could ever have imagined. There are doubts in my mind, stubbornly, probably because i pictured so vividly the quiet days with Sweetie in my bedroom, getting more used to each other, seeing her become a part of my family and some day even play in our home.  I wanted her to look out at the snow and tell her, "No more cold for you Baby," this winter. I wanted to give her that so much that I am sick with the realization that she is gone. I wish her last 2 days were not with strangers at the veterinarian's office. I hope she knows somehow what i whispered and that i kissed her finally. I will some time this week get Sweetie's ashes and put them with the ashes of my other pets who are gone, seven cats. All of them came to me from the parking area outside my apartment building. They lived here and had many wonderful safe years with me. Right now the 4 i have also once showed up outside as stray cats.  They are happy and safe and wonder why i haven't gone outside every morning at 6:30 this week. My  little boy JR, who is FiV+, is giving me extra attention this week. 

My neighbor who called every day to ask about Sweetie said she saw Sweetie waiting for me right at the door to the trap. She thinks Sweetie was not struggling in the trap because she was ready to be taken to the vet. She didn't feel well. She trusted I would help. I would rejoice if I could believe that. I'll try to look at it that way. One thing i do believe is that Sweetie is in her part of Heaven, well and playing , and that one day she will pause in her play and run to the bridge and I will hold her in my arms and kiss her again and again.

THANK YOU for being my friend all through my time trying to bring Sweetie to my home. Your advice is so valuable, I hope you can help others as you have me. There will never be a day i could see a cat outside and not try to feed it. There will never be a time I am not looking for a cat who needs help. This is just who I am and it will never change. If I need advice again I know where to turn. Thank you forever.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:touch: Your words touched my heart. thank you for that. :hugs: AND please DO rejoice in what your neighbor told you because I believe it is true, very true. These kitties know when they are in great need of medical attention and in need of care/support. They give in completely to the trap and to the people assisting them. I think feral/stray cats know much more about life and how to live than our indoor sheltered kitties. :lol3: And, I say that with great respect for the indoor kitties too. :D BUT - really, the feral cats only live in survival mode day and night and they know when they are not well and they know who to turn to for help. They see a lot, they watch a lot and they know who they can ultimately trust when it comes down to it. I have had a couple of feral cats come to me if only to help them to the bridge and release them from their suffering. It breaks my heart but what REALLY breaks my heart is the fact that they know it and in those final hours or days, they gave in to their ultimate fear - a human. :bawling: Makes me cry to even think about it. Amazing creatures. :heart3:

I think there will be another for you one day, they always seem to find us !!!!! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :rub: :heart2: