I trapped a chipped pet. Help for what to say to owner on return?

catclan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
(not exactly "feral" but not sure what the right thread would be; please move as needed!)

I'm having a hard time with my health, and my brain is even foggier than usual as a result. I want to make sure I say what needs saying when the cat goes back home. I'd been seeing the poor thing living in the neighbor's shed--not the owner's property. It was there whenever I looked, and had been for a week, was very skittish, and so I decided to trap.

If the owners just let the cat roam then I want to make sure they realize what is out there waiting for their cat. Even if it's fixed and has every possible vaccination. There is still nothing that really helps prevent FIP and FIV and upper respiratory infections, or is there?

Some local considerations: this is a cold climate; it is still snowing here (danger of cat crawling inside engine compartment for warmth). There are foxes, black bears, raccoons, skunks, other cats including my TNRs some of which are real fighters :sigh:, and stray dogs. Also 3 roads with plenty of vehicle traffic.

I saw this particular cat catch and eat a feral pigeon, and I vaguely know that pigeons can be filthy with disease, but not sure what kinds and how much might be transmissible to cats.

Thank you for any corrections, additions, links, and thoughts you might have. I am really not looking forward to this meeting, but for the sake of the cat I want to at least have a little fact sheet printed up so that maybe they will think about keeping their cat inside. And then I'll have something for next time too.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
1. Are you willing to adopt this cat yourself, if you dont find owner / owner dont wants it?  (or you know somebody else who wants to adopt).

2.Did you tracked down the owner, so he you know it is a neighbour who must know the cat was there he was?   If no neighbour, count he was lost for real!  A careless person wouldnt probably chip his cat.

My advice is you phone this person, and talk politely, diplomatic, friendly tow cat fanciers with each other, and actively listening, playing it by ear.

The most probable is the cat got astray, and owners tried to search but didnt were lucky with this.

Especielly if they are NOT neigbours.

If there you feel there is anything funny, say they are neighbours, and their joy to get back the cat doesnt sound authentic, tell you would be happy to adopt the cat yourself / have a good friend who would, if you hadnt found the owners.  But you got attached to him while he was home with you, you wonder, if they are willing to let you adopt it.

Something like that.

The only risk is they want some payment...

Have the teaching as almost last resort, becuause if they dont ask themselves for good advices, they will get into a defensive stand: who are you to teach them!   And then it is the end of the dialogue.

You can also mention you can report them to authorities, if they dont do just so and so.   You are keeping your eyes on them.  But it is the last resort, useful on negligent neigbours.  It surely works, problem is you will get them for enemies.

Some thoughts!

Tx for caring and helping this guy!

Good luck!

ps.  Him caring prey. He will surely have worms. Both tape and round. Mites, fleas...

If he isnt first rate hunter, so the birds he hunts down are probably sick. Perhaps salomonella...  Cats are fairly immune against salomonella, but a massive overdose of a heavy infested, sick bird, may take down a cat. Esp is its immune system is weakened.   Such a solomonella may go on humans too (very few of cats diseases goes otherwise also on humans, this salomonella is one of the few exceptions).

Any way, a vet check up is good and highly recommended.

If he get heavy diarrhea, go asap to vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catclan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the good advice, Stefan.

I don't know more than the messages the vet left for me. She says that the cat's owners want it back, nothing more. She and I will be able to talk again in the morning. If the owners want to reclaim the cat, it's really none of my business whether it got out accidentally or was let out on purpose. I saw no "lost cat" signs or notices.

I think my main problem is just not being able to deal with things very well right now. I want the best for this cat. But all my efforts may not be able to get that for it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, so the vet had the contacts. Very considerate of her.  If you are allowed to contact them, please try to have the talk along my skiss above.  (I see I had a lot of typos there, I hope you understood anyway).

If the vet wants to proceed as the intermediary, you can leave the core of this message to the vet.

And if you being busy and your mind elsewhere, dont have time nor force to  this business - count the vet is knowing what she is doing, ie she had already recognized the old owners loss is legit, they werent careless nor dumped, the cat just got astray and they couldnt find it.  Such happens.

In such a case it is only natural they shall have the cat back. Good ending and everybody happy!

Tx a lot for caring!

Good luck!