I took in two stray kittens around three weeks

PearlLovette

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two male kitten's, both are black but over the past couple weeks one of the black cats been having white fur appear. He such an awesome looking kitty. Was just curious because he was all black like his other. He just has long hair while the other is short haired.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PearlLovette

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two male kitten's, both are black but over the past couple weeks one of the black cats been having white fur appear. He such an awesome looking kitty. Was just curious because he was all black like his other. He just has long hair while the other is short haired.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Cute kittens! I know more experienced members will come along and tell you for sure, but it is possible that this one kitten would be considered a black smoke domestic long haired (DLH). It is also likely that the 'black smoke' kitten may actually lighten up in color as he ages.

From what I can see in the pic, they might have some tabby markings? Depending on their age, the tabby striping could become more dominate over time.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They look so happy together! It's great that you were able to adopt both of them.

We often get questions about lighter hairs appearing on black kittens. These lighter hairs might be one or more of the following:
  • "Ghost tabby" markings are normal on solid colored kittens. Your kittens are not going to become tabbies, but it's perfectly normal for solid black or gray kittens to have faint tabby markings, and these markings sometimes persist into adulthood.
  • "Fever coat" is a temporary phenomenon where some hairs start to grow in lighter (often due to a period of illness, but not always), and then grow in darker again later.
  • Black longhaired cats often have a lighter colored undercoat, which can appear brownish or grayish. This can be more apparent during some seasons of the year when the undercoat grows in thicker.
  • Your kitten may also turn out to be black smoke in color, where the roots of the hair are white, and the tips remain dark.
It's hard to tell from this picture which one of these types of light hairs you are seeing on your kitten. You may just have to wait and see how his coat develops. My guess from the picture is that he probably isn't a black smoke, but kittens' coats do change as they mature, and it's certainly possible.