I Took In A Pregnant Stray!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is it the powdered in the can? That’s preferable to the pre-mixed.

She’ll love the wet food too!

Good hubby you’ve got there! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amanda greogry

FancyPantsy
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah it’s the powdered. The pre mixed goes bad far too quickly in my experience.
Yeah he’s a good guy. Running all my errands :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What happened with this litter? Reading about your new mama now.

Amanda greogry

FancyPantsy
Young Cat
Purraise
What happened with this litter? Reading about your new mama now.
Ugh. This baby. Looong story so I will try to make it short..... this is the same cat.
Someone got into my house and let her outside. I honestly think my landlord came in while I wasnt home and put her out because I’m not supposed to have an “extra” cat. But I can’t prove that.
Anybway- she was gone for months, I presumed they took her to the SPCA or called animal control. But one night a couple weeks ago she turned up on my door again. Very very pregnant- again. No idea where the other litter is. But they most be close to four/ five months old by now if they survived the winter outside. Who knows if they did. It got very cold and snowed and we had a flash flood.
I was heartbroken to say the least and cried my pregnant eyes out when she turned up again-so happy to see her. She has such a lovely personality. She gave birth on Friday night practically on my lap. I moved her into an isolated area, Because I figured she would want to be alone, but she kept on coming out and getting back onto my bed. Finally my husband suggested that the reason she kept leaving her nesting area was because she wanted me there with her. So, at eight months pregnant myself, I sat down on the floor next to her and played midwife for three hours. As soon as I sat with her she stoped getting up and the first kitten was born within 30 minutes. We are quite bonded ❤ She moved her babies from my closet,where it’s small dark and quiet, onto my bed this afternoon. She practically brought them to me.
Iv never seen such affectionate behavior, and especially from one that I haven’t had for very long. I’m lucky to have had her wander into my life.
Because I can’t have another cat here, as soon as she is spayed my mother is going to take her. It’s only fifteen minutes away so I’ll still see her often and as soon as my husband and I move into a larger house we will bring her back home to us.

Last edited:

Amanda greogry

FancyPantsy
Young Cat
Purraise
Here’s a few pictures of her. In labor. Fresh babies. Established in my closet. And laying on my bed today.
I’m so proud lol I love this little family so much. I’m sure my own pregnancy emotions are getting the better of me HAHA!!

Attachments

Amanda greogry

FancyPantsy
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh geez, thank you for merging my posts. I had forgotten about the first one. :)

So another question.... I’m really hoping everything is normal here and it’s just a little anxiety getting the best of me..... I have fostered many many neonates but haven’t had a mother with her litter in my care in over 15 years, so I’m rusty with my mother care.....
Mama used the litter box a while ago and it seems like one of two things has happened... either she is a bit swollen from birth and urniated on her legs a bit, or she is having some excess discharge. Maybe both. She has long hair so lots of this mystery fluid was soaked up on her legs.
I’m leaning towards it being MOSTLY Urin because of an ammonia smell. I cleaned her a bit with a warm cloth and there diddnt appear to be too much blood... maybe just urin and some discharge mixed with older brown blood . There was also a little poo in her fur that I wiped away.
So- is a little litter box trouble something to worry about?
It’s Now 74 hours after birth.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bloody discharge is normal for 7-10 days following delivery while the uterus heals.

Amanda greogry

FancyPantsy
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess it’s the funky smell that is throwing me off a bit, in combination with the amount of fluid. Both back legs and her tail were soaked and I can smell her from a couple feet away. But again- it’s more of an ammonia smell mixed with a normal “ fresh mother” smell. Nothing TOO offensive.

I imagine I’ll keep returning to his thread for basic reassurance throughout the next week LOL!

Thank you guys for listening ❤

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, there will be a smell, just like with humans. It's because it is held in the uterus for a while before getting discharged and is old. She is very sore and may not 'feel' the urge to urinate as strong, so may leak a little because she waited to long, or the muscles/nerves may be temporarily damaged from giving birth taht should all clear up as was said above. If the discharge becomes, thick, white/yellow/green, or she stops eating, then take her to the vet as soon as possible, she has an infection. But that is very rare, so just keep an eye on it.What a beautiful little mama. Seh loves you so much! She needs lots of nutrition right now, give her kitten food if you can. five kittens! All are beautiful! Congratulations. give her a kiss from me, and pat yourself on the back. I'll pray for you all and your own upcoming safe delivery, all the luck!

Amanda greogry

FancyPantsy
Young Cat
Purraise
:)
That is all very much what I was thinking but it’s good to hear someone else say it too.
Thank you very much!