I took in a pregnant stray & she had 6 kittens under my couch. I need help...

xBerries

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, so this sweet stray had been coming around for a few months. I fed her twice a day, gave her flea meds regularly, etc but she would not let me pick her up or bring her in. Finally last month, I realized she was pregnant and so I layered up my clothes to prevent scratches and just brought her inside to my spare bathroom with all the cat essentials for her. She was upset the first day, but after she's been happy!

Now, 9 days ago, she ran out of the bathroom, hid under my couch and went into labor. She had 6 kittens under there and they are still there right now! The kittens are 9 days old today.

I still haven't been able to touch them. All she will let me do is peek under at the babies, but if I inch any closer she gets upset. I have put warm blankets around 3 sides of the couch to keep the kittens warm. They all look plump and healthy. 2 kittens have opened their eyes already.

Should I just let her keep the kittens under the couch until they start coming out on their own? (no one is using the couch as long as they are under)

I have zero experience with kittens because all of my previous cats had been spayed, and I want to get her spayed as soon as she weans these babies too.

I'm scared if I let them stay under the couch without seeing me or humans at all... then they won't be easily socialized once they start to wander out by themselves... what should I do? Should I try to put mommy in another room and then interact with the kittens alone at this point? Or wait longer? Or somehow convince her to let me near them?
Any advice please?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does mom come out to eat, drink, and use the litter box? If so, you can try to move the kittens when she is not there.

Do you have a spare room you can put her and her kittens in? That would be ideal for them, and easier for you to gain access. You would need to leave the door closed and put food, water, litter, and toys in the room, and kitten proof for anything they should not get into once they begin exploring. Mom needs to learn to trust you coming in and handling the babies, and this setup is ideal for that too.

As far as socializing, the kittens do not require much handling the first 3 weeks, as they cannot regulate their own body temperature during this time.

My concern is making sure their eyes are clean and not crusted over. This requires wiping gently with a warm, damp cloth. Crusted shut eyes can cause infection and blindness, though if they are closed but not goopy or crusty do NOT force them open. Most kittens open their eyes by 14 days.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The kittens will get more mobile and curious about the world at 2-3 weeks old. Until then, if no one is using the couch they are fine. My biggest concern would be a curious mobile kitten climbing into the couch and getting hurt on a screw or stuck... but that depends on what the underside of you couch looks like. More likely the kittens would wobble out then up once they get more mobile. Once they are mobile block off under the couch when Mom is out and scoot any kittens out. Have an alternate spot set up of a covered box, closet, or even a pop up tent type thing so Mom can maintain the covered safety she likes. Don't let Mom outside, she could get pregnant again.

As to socialization, Mom might be skittish but kittens are generally fearless. Give Mom space and talk with the kittens. Likely, at about 3-4 weeks they will start noticing you and be curious. As long as Mom doesn't actively stop them they will be fine with you if you are around often in a safe fashion (sitting on floor with them and talking to them). Once they are weaned, 6-8 weeks, is when you make the decision about if Mom is a good or bad influence on them. If she's hissy and the kittens start being skittish and hissy towards humans then it is better to separate. If they aren't, then it is okay to leave them with Mom longer. The risk with early removal from Mom is not learning good behavior and being bitey adults. But sometimes one risk is worth the other.