I thought cats did NOT like tin foil...

fr gregg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our 'efined feline' Dulcinea LOVES tin foil. We've taped it on with real WIDE packaging tape...and no matter what (even doubled HEAVY duty tin foil) becomes 'a project' for Dulcinea. She shreds it into tiny pieces and strews it all over the kitchen floor...and spends hours cuffing it around on the floor.
(AND---don't even go there with 'toys'---she has a toy chest FULL of balls that blink and whistle...electric mice that move on their own and pause for her attention...dogs and mice filled with catnip...one=to-one ribbon-play every evening for an hour before bed with one of us PLUS constant attention and play from 4 PM until 11 PM every single night...and towers to climb on, scratching posts, small condos where she can hide her favorite toys, walk-in mahogany litter closet...etc. etc.)---but she still prefers to shred tin foil or papers or phone books...or anything that will bother and upset us. Still we love her...and lavish probably TOO much attention on her! Just list it under "it goes with the territory!" At the end of a long and difficult work day...I still look forward to coming home to Dulcinea
and see what mischief she's sturred up during the day!

fr gregg

whimsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been trying to keep my kitten from hanging out on top of the kitchen table lately. We keep a spider plant up there, which is very tempting to chew on (which I'd rather she did not do). I put two long sheets of foil out and it did not bother her in the slightest. So I crumpled the foil a bit so that when I laid it out on the table again it was all uneven. That seemed to do the trick, at least for now. As soon as her paws hit the crumpled foil, she turned to get the hell off of it. She has not attempted to climb up there since. Worth a try! C:

catwithmycoffee

Six Cats Crazy Cat Parents
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never had any luck with using foil to deter cats from countertops - they think it's a wonderful toy for them to play with!

Something I have found that works (to an extent) to train kitties when I'm not around to stay off the counters is some carpet protector mat.  Lay it across where you don't want them to be, bumpy side up.  Most cats don't like the sensation of the (usually) pointy bumps on their paw pads and will quickly learn to not walk there.  You can usually find the stuff where door mats are sold in most stores.

Bazinga loves tape adhesive!  She will sit and lick the sticky side of tape all day long if I'd let her...

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to point out that this thread is several years old, though there is no reason not to post in it. For any who may be wondering, spider plants are not toxic to cats, though I agree that they should not be encouraged to eat them!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I know this is an old thread, but had to post. If we ever need to deter Zoe from any place it isn’t going to be with tin foil. :lol:

563670A9-8506-45BA-A5CB-670E6BC483F7.jpeg

92BF6B0E-81C1-40DA-8218-AA6A93FA4225.jpeg

Katzrkool1379

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmmmm....

I recently put a sheet of tinfoil up on a countertop that I've been trying to train Ferris not to jump up on. Silly me - I thought it was working, until this morning.

It seems that Ferris has discovered that he REALLY enjoys shredding up tinfoil and chewing it into tiny little bits.
I found it all over the floor in the kitchen this morning.

I have a cat who loves licking foil. She was abandoned and lived rough for a while so I suspect she associates the foil with thrown out foil used for cooking under a grill. Likely to have a coating of tasty fat.