i think smooch has a problem

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
he only eats dry food and pate type food he turns his nose up at wet food like what i feed my two. hes started to drink more water and going to the litter box more often but not going by the looks of it

yet my mam is doesnt think any thing could be wrong i told her to at least phone the vet and speak to them ask their opinion but she wont because hes got bright eyes and looks fine, so im going to speak to my dad tonight when he gets in from work

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, you may have to take matters into your own hands. If he has a uninary tract infection, it can be fatal in 24-48 hours. Straining in the litterbox is classic indication of this. He could also have crystals in his urine blocking him up. This is very common in male cats.

My cat Beeba is coming home today from the vet after being treated for the last 3 days for a blockage and UTI. His eyes were bright but he was a very sick kitty. Don't go by the eyes! You have your symptoms right in front of you.

Please, do not wait! Kidneys can be affected by an untreated blockage, toxins can build up in their systems and will be fatal if not treated ASAP.

Your mom needs to get this cat to the vet asap!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
he is managing to go a little bit and is sitting in the box like hes still trying to go

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Classic symptoms. Please do not delay. This is painful for your cat and potentially life threatening.

Is there someone who will help you get to the vet? A neighbor? You don't give your age, so I don't know, can you drive?

You won't find anyone else on this forum who will give you different advise. So please don't wait.

It is a good thing you noticed this in your kitty. I always listen when my cats are in the litter box to be sure I hear a good healthy stream of urine.

Show mom this. Your cat needs you.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
im going to phone his vet now

yeah i can drive but id get my brother to drive (im 23)

ive just text my dad to tell him what im going to do to

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i panic because my two have had problems even though they are young, so when i seen him acting strange i thought something was wrong

i just read your topic on beeba and it reads the same as what smooch is doing

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
he is going to vet just after 5 they cant get him in any quicker

hes trying to go to the toliet but just cant bless his heart

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, the male cats are prone to this. Wouldn't you know I have mostly males!

I was so worried about Beeba. This has been an ongoing thing for the last 2 weeks. In and out of vets and finally hospitalization. He will now be on wet food, whatever the vet recommends. The food will discourage the development of these crystals.

What also works is an automatic water fountain. The more water the better once he is ok. The more water = more urine= cleaner bladdar and less time for crystals to build up. Its a science really!

Keep us posted about Smooch. I am pulling for him. Getting treatment asap is a key to success!
PS Tons of information on internet. Just google and read, read, read!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh AJ, poor Smooch.

I'm glad you are able to get him into the vet.... while you are waiting, you may want to evaluate the foods you do feed him and think about dietary measures you could take to help.... so you don't have to deal with this repeatedly

Lots of for you and Smoochie.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yeah ive already told my mam he needs to be eating less of the dry and more of a wet type food, im going to go to the vets with them tonight, my mam has just gone into panic mode but denial as well

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by -_aj_-

yeah ive already told my mam he needs to be eating less of the dry and more of a wet type food, im going to go to the vets with them tonight, my mam has just gone into panic mode but denial as well
Good job being persistent with your parents and getting Smooch to the vet right away, and also for keeping an eye on what he's doing in the litter box...so many people don't pay attention to the litter box and our kitties leave us all kinds of clues about their health in there (ew, i know!).

Let's hope Smooch just has a UTI, which is easier and quicker to treat than a blockage but he can recover from both as long as he gets care right away.

Your vet may recommend a special diet for him, but I agree WET FOOD will be crucial for his urinary health. Often times these problems start because kitty is dehydrated, and dry food contributes to that. I also agree with the member's suggestion to look into getting an automatic water fountain - that will encourage him to drink more, too. My kitties love their fountain!!

Please let us know how Smooch does at the vet tonight! Good luck.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, I know it flipped me out too. I had a cat about 11 years ago go through the same thing. It is treatable. But it can't be ignored.

When I got the water fountain, boy did Beeba love it. It makes me happy to see him drinking more water. I look at the water as a med too. It's very important. Some people even wet down the canned food a bit more to get more water into them.

I am looking at the dry my cats were on and shaking my head. Stupid me. I knew it was junk, but with 11 cats I was going broke. Well, today I am going to have a large vet bill due in part to the dry food. I'd rather spend the money on the canned than have my boy go through this again.

You will become like the rest of us.....running to the litter box when you hear your cat to be sure there is a nice, urine present for you!

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

You will become like the rest of us.....running to the litter box when you hear your cat to be sure there is a nice, urine present for you!
So true!! I only had to deal with a UTI with one of my cats one time and now they all have to endure me watching them "do their business"!

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i think ill suggest a water fountain actually to them i know when i move back out and back with my cats they are getting one we talked about it for a while.

i use dry food more like treats for flash and sooty all they eat is wet.

smooch turns his nose up at all wet food pouches but i think im going to get some of the whiskers that has bits of meat and fish in rather than cubes of processed meat so to speak

best thing i have done today is go behind my mams back and tell my dad sounds silly i know but i was just as worried for him as i am for my own

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

i think ill suggest a water fountain actually to them i know when i move back out and back with my cats they are getting one we talked about it for a while.

i use dry food more like treats for flash and sooty all they eat is wet.

smooch turns his nose up at all wet food pouches but i think im going to get some of the whiskers that has bits of meat and fish in rather than cubes of processed meat so to speak

best thing i have done today is go behind my mams back and tell my dad sounds silly i know but i was just as worried for him as i am for my own
Good for you for looking out for Smoochy! He's lucky you're keeping an eye on him.

Just a quick note, stay away from fish. Fish is not good for cats with urinary health problems.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ah right so best to possibly sticky to meaty foods now?

hes playing away with his ball at the minute like nothing is wrong, but every 5 minutes are so hes trying to go to the toilet and theres still nothing well possibly once there was a little bit but nothing like what it should be

i have been googling and reading up on UTI's and water fountains

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

ah right so best to possibly sticky to meaty foods now?

hes playing away with his ball at the minute like nothing is wrong, but every 5 minutes are so hes trying to go to the toilet and theres still nothing well possibly once there was a little bit but nothing like what it should be

i have been googling and reading up on UTI's and water fountains
Yes, fish has a high phosphorus and magnesium content. You can help prevent UTI with a diet low in magnesium, so look for foods that have less than 0.12% magnesium.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
theres been a little bit of blood there
so theres no mistaking that theres a problem with him