I think one cat might be bullying the other

kurayami

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have two female, desexed cats, Montana and Lamington. I've had Montana for longer than Lamington, and Montana is larger than Lamington. They play with each other and chase each other around the house in little spurts throughout the day.

I play with them as I'm able, but sometimes when they're chasing each other around, Lamington backs herself into a corner and then Montana will continue standing over Lamington until I break it up, all the while Lamington is hissing until I intervene.

This doesn't happen lots, and the longer they've been living together, the less they've been engaging in this behaviour when playing. It's behaviour I'd like to discourage, but I don't know how.

Any thoughts about what I should do?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can try a feliway diffuser, which you plug into an electrical outlet and it will diffuse feline hormones that are supposed to make a cat feel good and calm down. Depending on how big your house is, you might need several.

You can also try to have several cat climbing trees and cat play tunnels so those girls have space to exhaust themselves, and for Lamington to escape to when you're not there.

Also, playing with both of them at the same time can help (and giving both treats afterwards), so they associate each other with having a good time.

Worst case, go to a vet and get a prescription of antidepressant for both of them. Should help Montana to calm down and not see Lamington as a threat, and Lamington to stand up for herself.

(Another solution: get a third cat into the mix, so Montana has one more playmate to exhaust herself with
)

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Creating more vertical space for them is a great idea - cats love to have vertical territory so it can really help smooth things over. It sounds like they're getting to the point where they're figuring each other out, but if you want to discourage them, you can try distracting Montana with a toy if you notice Lamington getting herself into a questionable place.