I Think My Rescue Cat Is Miserable!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Christinathenewcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well, I know you-all are cutting the rescue a lot of slack, but when medical records are available, 10 years old is a heck of a long way from 2, no matter the size of the cat.
I for one am not impressed, but that's because I've heard of this kind of thing before even though I get it, they're in it for her lifetime... Other readers and lurkers, adopters beware as best as you can.

In any case, be that as it may, you still have the issue before you and in your household. I am keeping my fingers crossed that there isn't anything else besides bad teeth and too many food changes, meds, anesthesia and stress.

I hope that you're able to get tummies squared away, that she calms down in a quiet space that's just for her, that your kitten and your kids wear each other out and that you make whatever decision knowing you did the very best by this cat. :redheartpump: To me it's telling that she behaves so differently when "an experienced cat person visits" as compared to how she behaves with you, in that she doesn't approach you except minimally.

Maybe this little gal really does need someone else, and

Rather than giving up on her, think about all you've done for her, and the additional gift you might be giving her if you take her back, and have the rescue step up to the plate with a younger feline for you-all.
You are an amazing person ❤ You have given me a ton to think about and research. Thank you!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just read through your first post again and noticed you've changed Ellie's food 3 times. And that the food that agreed with Ellie, gave the kitten diarrhea.

I know it would be a pain, but could you try giving Ellie the food that agreed with her. And feeding Fin something different. Especially due to the wide age range between them, Fin could probably still be eating kitten food, while Ellie senior food.

Also, did you switch the food slowly or all at once. Cats need gradual food changes, or digestive issues can occur. This is mentioned in the following article:
Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food (canned, Raw, Or Homemade)

Yes, he was neutered in Jan when he was 4 months. He and Ellie would sleep and play together before her sergury.
That's good. One less thing to worry about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Christinathenewcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just read through your first post again and noticed you've changed Ellie's food 3 times. And that the food that agreed with Ellie, gave the kitten diarrhea.

I know it would be a pain, but could you try giving Ellie the food that agreed with her. And feeding Fin something different. Especially due to the wide age range between them, Fin could probably still be eating kitten food, while Ellie senior food.

Also, did you switch the food slowly or all at once. Cats need gradual food changes, or digestive issues can occur. This is mentioned in the following article:
Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food (canned, Raw, Or Homemade)

That's good. One less thing to worry about.
Yes, I introduced all foods very slowly. She was eating the new food, but just quit. I really need them to be on the same diet, for my sanity. Lol

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This just made me tear up. Thank you for the kind words. I love her. I love all animals. I wanted a young playmate that was going to be around for my kitten. I felt guilty about adopting a kitten in the first place so I wanted to help an adult cat too.

I'm attached to her in the sense that I want to help her and because I've heard about how awesome she was at foster mom's. We are all so dedicated to our zoo and I just hate the thought of failure. I don't want to be the cause to her misery. Its haunting me that I ruined her stability at her Foster's.

And yes, I do want a second cat for the kitten. I opted to rescue a second so quickly because 1. the kitten is probably the coolest pet I've ever met, and 2. I was told a friend would help keep Fin out of trouble and he wouldn't bond as well if I waited.
I’m glad you are up to keep trying! Though let me say for the record there is nothing to feel guilty about if you do find she is not going to fit in. You have already helped her a ton by finding out what you have.

From what I understand you are getting the 10+ years from the state of her teeth right? This might not be anything like what’s going on with her, but I once adopted a dog who was abandoned at the vets who was deaf and half blind. We were told she was a senior dog because of her teeth, however we then found out Molly (the dog) was obsessed with balls....and when she couldn’t find a ball she would turn to rocks. She brought them to us to throw but she also chewed on them and as you can guess it destroyed her teeth and the vet decided she was closer to 4 years.

I wish I could offer something as far as the food goes but I just don’t know enough. However you had said you wouldn’t mind starting the introductions again and keeping her in her own room. Can I suggest you have each member of the family spend some one on one time with her just quietly doing their own thing in her room? Preferably on the ground on your on her level? Maybe have the kids do homework there or whatnot. I bet if she gets comfortable with everyone when it’s just her and them she will be more comfortable when she rejoins the house and is around everyone at once. I would also do this with your pets (not on their own of course but with just one family member to make sure everything goes ok) for short periods of time. With the kitten I would suggest you play with them for that time with something like a wand toy.

gentleheart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I apologize if this was already said and I missed it. What was she fed at the rescue/foster? If she didn't have these stomach problems there, that is the food she should be on, right? BUT, on the other hand, there is a possibility that she did have these problems at the foster, and they just weren't honest about it. I come from the horse world, and this happens ALL the time there, constantly. I once boarded my horse at a stable that also ran a rescue that in fact had an excellent reputation. In the few short months I was there, I saw some truly terrible and questionable things, and not once did I see a vet ever come out. I moved my horse the day I found a pool of blood (not from my horse) and the stable/rescue owner refused to speak with me or tell me what happened, and had her stable hands clean up the mess as soon as they could.

All of that to say that there is plenty of shady, underhanded, not so great things that happen in rescues and foster homes. An 8 year age difference is no small leap. Something is not right here.

On the other hand, if Ellie's stomach issues are not caused by food, it could entirely be due to her being uprooted at an elderly age. 1.5 years is a long time to be in foster. That was her home, her house. Now she is severely stressed (my guess) from her whole life being turned upside down and everything familiar has been torn from her. Stress can cause all of the problems she's been having, including hair loss. I honestly don't think that you have done anything wrong. I think she is an older cat that has a lot of problems and is very stressed from her life changing so drastically, and you are doing a great job helping her adjust as easily as possible.

Here is a good article on stress causing hair loss:
Why Does My Cat Shed So Much at the Vet's?

Is there a quiet room that could be made into 'her' room? Someplace where she could go to be away from everyone, especially when the dogs are eating? If not, have you considered one of those roomy cat enclosures (they kind of look like a very, very large kennel that gives them shelves to sit on and space to move around)? I don't think locking her up for alone time for however long the dogs need to eat, even a few hours, would be a bad thing (provided that it does not stress her out even more).

If being completely shut away from house activity did stress her out, a cat kennel that is all her own, tucked away in a semi-quiet area where she can still see/hear some household activity may work great. It would at least separate her and the kitten, the dogs can eat in peace, etc.

Here are a few examples:

gentleheart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom I just guessed, and google is helpful lol!

I would definitely set up the kennel in a quiet area with blankets partially covering it, etc, to make it homey. Those poor cats in the first pic I posted look like they are having a miserable time in jail! I can just imagine the orange cat on bottom playing a harmonica. Poor guys! :flail:

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like Ellie is overwhelmed right now. Did she have a relationship with kittens in her foster home? I agree that it would be a good idea to give her a space where she can chill out and be away from the kitten. Perhaps give her some time to chill out in her own space will help with the fur loss if it is stress related. I would focus on getting the fur and digestive issues sorted out and then try to see if you can introduce her to the kitten. If there is a small independent pet food shop that sells grain free food in your area it may be helpful to there and talk to someone about the food issues with the cats. I have one of those near me and they have been very helpful about finding me foods for my cats. I have had to change my dry food twice. They were able to give me ideas about what foods to to try. One of the foods changed from a small company to a large company. The owner let me know the manufacturer was changing. She also told me I could return opened food if the quality went downhill after the change. It did because their dry food was turning into dust when it went in the bowl. My cats would not eat it anymore. This was pricey grain free food. The 2nd time I did a food change was because my 8 year old cat had to be hospitalized due a partial blockage and seemed to dislike the food he had been eating. He was not eating enough of his food. I went back to the independent store and told them what I was dealing with. They helped me find a different grain free food to try and gave me samples. The quality of the new food is much better. My 8 year cat is eating normally again. The other three cats love the new food to. It also has lower levels for stuff that can cause the urinary issues my 8 year old was dealing with. The levels are still right that they will not cause problems for my other cats. I have 4 cats with a huge age range. I have a 12 year old, an 8 year old, 5 year old and 4 year old. My 12 year old is female and my other cats are males. All are fixed. It is possible to find an all ages grain free but you need help to find the right one due to the age range you are dealing with. Years ago I was feeding an all stages grain free to a 6 week old kitten and two 8 year old cats. I got all my foods through a small independent pet food store. Once the diet change was successful I did switch to ordering food online because it is a lot cheaper.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because of the diet I would do feeding times & feed Ellie separately. Having the runs every day is not good for either cat! My punk is allergic to chicken/poultry (which is in EVERY THING!) This is a reasonably priced lamb wet food:
Nature's Variety Pride by Instinct Grain-Free Minced Lovebug's Lamb Recipe Wet Canned Cat Food
I can recommend this dry food if she can eat sweet potatoes? It is what I feed my boys.
Taste of the Wild Canyon River Grain-Free Dry Cat Food

Lastly one of the cats I live with needs urinary tract care food... that my punk is allergic to. So his food is in a glass bowl with a Tupperware lid. When he eats, I close the door to his room. If I see him trying to eat my boys dry food I re-direct him to his. If I could get him to wear a collar I would use one of those electric food bowls someone was talking about. We are currently searching for a chicken free urinary care dry food.Yes the chicken & rice is better than the dry food. In a pinch I have added baby rice cereal (the powder) to wet food to treat kittens with runs. You could try mixing that into her wet food. However if it is an allergy she really needs to not be eating what she is allergic to most of the time. I shoot for keeping my punk Dante out of Chester's chicken food almost every day..... minus 1-3 days of sneaking a few bites per month. He goes months without chicken.

Can you take them to a different vet or your same vet & ask for a food both cats can eat? Then you just need the dog food to be in 1 room Ellie can't get into or the fancy bowls for the dogs.

Ammaarah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Its been a week since i applied revolution to my kitten and he has a really large bald spot on his head.. will it grow back?? So worried :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi A Ammaarah --It will probably grow back, but I'm not a vet. Can you take a photo of the bald spot and send it in to your vet and talk with them?
And then also ask the vet what they recommend, something other than revolution to be applied later if you need to.