I Think My Rescue Cat Is Miserable!

Christinathenewcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 10yo rescue cat, Ellie, seems to be miserable and I think she associates her new home with negativity. We've had her for 4 months and things have only gotten worse. I don't want to give her back but I don't know what else to do.

Background...
We have 2 children, 10 & 16. The 10 year is a hyper clown but good with our zoo. We have 2 senior 65 lb dogs that we've had since pups. We adopted a kitten in November and decided he needed a friend...enter our sweet rescue cat, Ellie, in December.

We wanted a young, attention loving adult cat to play with and teach the kitten manors. She was described as the perfect cat: motherly, loves attention, tolerant, 2 years old, healthy with a grain allergy. Ms.Ellie turns out to be 10+ years old and was in desparate need of dental work.

We changed both cat's food when she came to suffice her grain allergy. Which resulted in the kitten getting bad diarrhea. After a bunch of tests on the kitten and a delay of his neuter, we switched to an Rx food for both.

Ellie has never really come out of her shell with us humans as described by the rescue, but would often play with the kitten. She mostly recoils every time I try to pet her and has only come to me maybe a dozen times. On a weekly basis, she would vomit or have diarrhea. She is losing hair like crazy. I felt all of this was from her mouth being so painful.

I have researched a ton and have tried it all. The cats have numerous places to retreat, including a 6 ft cat condo, a hammock, and 3 different cat bed locations. There's a scratch post in every room. Tons of toys. We play every day. They have 4 litter boxes that are all cleaned daily. These cats are royalty, my dogs are like wth!

Problem....
She had dental work done in February where they removed 6 teeth. She was already missing 14. So she's almost toothless. Since surgery (5 weeks ago) she has had diarrhea every day, the explosive kind that requires clean up multiple times per day. She just runs and hides from the kitten who wants to play. We've changed her food 3 times. I finally found a food that stopped her diarrhea and as soon as I got the kitten transferred over to it, he got diarrhea and she stopped eating it. She keeps trying to get into the dog's food and any food in the kitchen (this has been since the beginning). She is even less affectionate now and hides most of the time.

The balance in our home is awful. We're all miserable. Dr. suggested kitty prozac. I don't want to give up but I cannot keep 4 animals separate when eating, in addition to the cost of two geriatric dogs. I cannot afford more meds for a geriatric cat that I did not plan for.

I feel guilty just thinking of giving her back to the rescue. I want to save her, but everyone is ripping their hair out. Thoughts? Advice?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! before you throw in the towel, here's some thoughts.
To help with stomach issues, try some unseasoned boiled rice and chicken for both cats 50% ratio. also you could try pumpkin. Also;
  • Slippery Elm bark can help, mix about a teaspoon of powder or up to one capsule into water and mix in with the cat’s food, or the powder can be mixed into wet food.
  • Baby food with no onion or garlic
  • Probiotics can be given to cats with diarrhea to introduce helpful bacteria into the digestive tract. Probiotics made for humans are often more beneficial because they contain more than one strain of bacteria. Half a capsule mixed into food twice a day
  • plain, fat-free yogurt. One or two tablespoons a day or mix it into the food
  • Add half a teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil into the cat’s food once or twice a day for 5-7 days
Once you get the stomach issues settled down, there are some toppers you can try to get her eating what she should be eating such as mackerel or bonito flakes.

For food, take a look through this whole thread Budget Adult Food For The Future?

There are calming products, including diffusers, treats, collars available that have numerous types of different ingredients such as L-Tryphophan and casein.
Feliway is a common one, Composure is also a product to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet has one, and Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at.
Even prescription calming products if nothing else works, --Gabapentin is good for travel, amitriptyline can help with general anxiety and OCD (like excessive grooming).

14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Christinathenewcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your help! I read the "how to make my cat like me" and I've tried several of those. I did see a few I haven't tried. I'm going to look into a calming collar. I've tried the felliway.

The first food both cats were switched to was Rx Purina Proplan EN (chicken and rice). Would that be the same as boiled chicken and rice? MY vet put them on that diet and stated it would not effect Ellie's grain allergy. During that time she only had occasional diarrhea and vomiting episodes. She also had daily probiotics.

The rescue's vet did Ellie's dental work and that's when the daily explosives began. Maybe it was brought on by the sergury and meds? This is when we began trying new foods. The 3 food was over $8/lb. Eek. I should add, they still get probiotics and now a bit of pumpkin in their evening wet meal. Ellie was also on Prednisone. This seemed to help for a few days but it's back!

Is her hairloss and aloofness causes of the stomach issues?

Even if I get the stomach issues at bay:
1. How do I keep her out of the dog food? I'm doing timed meals for the dogs, but it's a huge hassle for them as they are old.
2. How do I keep her out of our people food? She even lifts the bread box! Lol
3. She can no longer defend herself from the kitten who wants to constantly play.

Hi! before you throw in the towel, here's some thoughts.
To help with stomach issues, try some unseasoned boiled rice and chicken for both cats 50% ratio. also you could try pumpkin. Also;
  • Slippery Elm bark can help, mix about a teaspoon of powder or up to one capsule into water and mix in with the cat’s food, or the powder can be mixed into wet food.
  • Baby food with no onion or garlic
  • Probiotics can be given to cats with diarrhea to introduce helpful bacteria into the digestive tract. Probiotics made for humans are often more beneficial because they contain more than one strain of bacteria. Half a capsule mixed into food twice a day
  • plain, fat-free yogurt. One or two tablespoons a day or mix it into the food
  • Add half a teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil into the cat’s food once or twice a day for 5-7 days
Once you get the stomach issues settled down, there are some toppers you can try to get her eating what she should be eating such as mackerel or bonito flakes.

For food, take a look through this whole thread Budget Adult Food For The Future?

There are calming products, including diffusers, treats, collars available that have numerous types of different ingredients such as L-Tryphophan and casein.
Feliway is a common one, Composure is also a product to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet has one, and Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at.
Even prescription calming products if nothing else works, --Gabapentin is good for travel, amitriptyline can help with general anxiety and OCD (like excessive grooming).

14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ellie seems has a lot of issues. Poor Ellie. Poor you, and your family. :sigh:

I wonder if she was at one point a stray, and that's why she's so food obsessed. If so, hopefully she'll get over it, once she realizes there will always be another meal.

Would it be possible to put her in one room only, for a while, to give her a break from the kitten, and also keep her from the dog's food. Almost like doing a completely new introduction to your furry family.

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

It's not cheap, but my Ruby eats hypo-allergenic duck canned cat food which is available only from a veterinarian. The idea is to give the cat a protein their digestive system has never had, and hasn't become allergic to. Ruby had diarrhea and vomiting when I first adopted her. The hypo-allergenic food solved her tummy troubles literally overnight. So might be something to ask your vet about.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rx Purina Proplan EN (chicken and rice
In my opinion, no, not the same as just plain unseasoned chicken and rice. This food has a lot of other ingredients/additives besides being pricey. --however, I should mention that the Chicken and rice that you cook is just a temporary thing, if you decide to do that.
EDIT - rubysmama rubysmama posted while I was typing this below, hopefully between us there's something that works for you :crossfingers:

I would definitely say that the medication/stress is what brought on the super bad diarrhea.

I'd also comment that I really think it's the other way around - her stomach is upset and she just wants to be left alone because of that. Hair loss, diarrhea, vomiting - her bad teeth weren't the cause of these things.

The hair loss is concerning - did anyone say anything about skin problems? Mange? Incredibly major allergies? --Did somebody apply a horrible flea treatment?

The rescue seems to have gotten everything else wrong, or gave you the wrong cat, my point being I'm not so sure about a grain allergy although of course that could be the case no matter whether the rescue got it right or not.

There are a couple foods that you could try, Tender and True--no peas, no egg, antibiotic free. Chicken Soup for the Soul cat food is a possibility to consider.

Can you obtain a dogfood dish that is activated by their informational microchip, or by a chip in a tag on their collar, that opens the food door when they walk up to it? Or, put her in the bathroom while the dogs eat, or put the dogs in the garage while they eat...not sure whether you're wanting to free feed the dogs? I agree with rubysmama, your older feline furbaby needs to be away from the kitten...

Was she a stray - no way to know for sure I suppose. But if she was, her food obsession may take a while to calm down. Or, she's really truly hungry, which is what I'm thinking. How is her body condition - does she have a thin layer of fat over her ribs? What with all this diarrhea, probably not so much at the moment...

I'm hoping that when you find something she'll eat with no issues, that her weight comes back up and she is less anxious about food. In the meantime, you might want to keep your counters clear of food. Try some pouch foods that have more gravy, numerous water bowls, she needs to be kept hydrated through all this.

Hang in there!!

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Prednisone on it's own can increase appetite and can also increase blood sugar level which can also increase appetite. All of that diarhea could be causing some dehydration and confusion on her part about weither she needs food or water.If it's a physical and not behavioral issue keeping food out of her reach may be the only solution. Are your dogs good at making their needs known? Put a weighted lid on their food and take it off when they ask.

Have you taken in a stool sample to rule out anything medical? Let the vet know specifics. I like fax and email so I can give the vet a full picture of the situation and they have time to think on it before responding.

Can you and your family keep the kitten active? Everytime someone has a few minutes or is watching tv pull out a toy. String things, lasers, teach him to fetch, puzzles for both of them, I put jingle toys and catnip in them as well as food treats. You can make your own.Here's some ideas: Homemade Puzzles - Food Puzzles for Cats Your 10yr old child may also enjoy doing some agility games with the kitten. International Cat Agility Tournaments | ICAT Cat Agility Also encourage the kitten to follow the humans around.

Christinathenewcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You guys are all soo sweet and helpful! To answer all of the above:

I was told she was found pregnant and in a dumpster. The rescue had her in foster care for 1.5 years. Her foster mom said she was pregnant before she was a year, thus the reason she's small. Her teeth say she's 10 She is very small, but not underweight. So this poor girl has been through it! Who knows how many homes or how long she was a stray. I don't want to give up on her. I fear her food awareness may never subside. I do keep all food put away, she's MacGyver.

The dogs are well trained. Our Am Bulldog is a diva and comes out to eat at her own pace. Although her pace has picked up knowing that Ellie is waiting to pounce For the most part I can get their leftovers picked up. Can a few pebbles contribute to the diarrhea?

Yes, she's been to my vet and the rescue's vet several times. Both have been extremely attentive and helpful, but I feel one is rooting for the kitten's digestive system and one is rooting for Ellie's.

Ellie does not have manage or any parasites. Her stool has been tested. She is on Revolution for prevention. She likes for me to brush her, so there's a positive interaction!

We've tried Royal Canin duck and pea limited ingredient, Transparent Nutrition-Digest, and now Canidae Grain free.

The kitten is very active and we all play with him a lot, including the Am Bulldog.

I'm definitely willing to separate her if that's what she needs. She was healthy when she came to us. Ellie's foster mom did not expect this with her. Everything just fell apart for Ellie when she came to live with us. That's why I think it's me, or us.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is stressed out from a hyper child and two large dogs. She needs some alone time. Why can't they be fed separately? I can't imagine her stress from eating with 2 large dogs.

Also, I am confused - the rescue place told you she was 2 years old and when you arrived you found out she is 10 years old?

I am very sorry you are going through all this. Bringing her back would not be the worst thing in this situation, especially if she mostly hides and it has been 4 months and you say things are getting worse. Of course, not sure if the place you got her from will let you, and finding a home for a 10 year old cat would not be easy. If she has been in a shelter the past few years, maybe that is where she would be most comfortable, and she would not be used to such a busy household.

Christinathenewcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oops, I didn't specify, the dog bowls are in the kitchen. The cat bowls are in the office where I have their water, cat condo, litter boxes (in the closet) and felliway plug ins. Ellie just sits and watches the dogs. She is very much the boss to the dogs.

She came from a foster house with 3 dogs and 5 other cats. The rescue is very reputable and helpful. I think they just got her age wrong. I didn't realize she was 10 until after I adopted her and received her medical records. I thought it was a misprint, but my vet confirmed that she is a senior.

I truly think I am doing something wrong for her. If an experienced cat person comes to visit, she comes right out like "hey girl what's up? Want to pet me?"

She is stressed out from a hyper child and two large dogs. She needs some alone time. Why can't they be fed separately? I can't imagine her stress from eating with 2 large dogs.

Also, I am confused - the rescue place told you she was 2 years old and when you arrived you found out she is 10 years old?

I am very sorry you are going through all this. Bringing her back would not be the worst thing in this situation, especially if she mostly hides and it has been 4 months and you say things are getting worse. Of course, not sure if the place you got her from will let you, and finding a home for a 10 year old cat would not be easy. If she has been in a shelter the past few years, maybe that is where she would be most comfortable, and she would not be used to such a busy household.

Christinathenewcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should also add, the rescue is no-kill and is dedicated to her for the rest of her life. I have reached out to them a few times and they have given several suggestions that I've tried.

Oops, I didn't specify, the dog bowls are in the kitchen. The cat bowls are in the office where I have their water, cat condo, litter boxes (in the closet) and felliway plug ins. Ellie just sits and watches the dogs. She is very much the boss to the dogs.

She came from a foster house with 3 dogs and 5 other cats. The rescue is very reputable and helpful. I think they just got her age wrong. I didn't realize she was 10 until after I adopted her and received her medical records. I thought it was a misprint, but my vet confirmed that she is a senior.

I truly think I am doing something wrong for her. If an experienced cat person comes to visit, she comes right out like "hey girl what's up? Want to pet me?"

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am glad she eats in a separate area, that is good. The fact that she has been raised at a foster house with many dogs and cats definitely paints a more positive picture!

You are not doing anything wrong. You sound like you are doing everything you can - condos, feliway, love and attention, separate feeding area, etc. How are the kiddos with her? Are they gentle? I know kids can get very excited when a new pet comes home. Perhaps Ellie just needs more time. If not, perhaps a vet can prescribe her a very mild anti-anxiety medication?

I agree with you that I am sure the foster place made an honest mistake. I didn't meant to imply it had been intentional. I was just a little confused.

Don't beat yourself up, it sounds like you have done so much for her! She may not show it, but she knows you care for her. They always know. :hearthrob:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a feeling she will come around, it will take a lot longer then the 4 months you have had her because she has been through do much with the surgery, allergies, diarrhea, etc. My Burt developed severe explosive diarrhea each time he ever had minor surgeries. So teh anesthesia might be the cause that started it all. You are doing every thing all right, give her room and just sit quietly with her if you can. Don't try to touch her, just talk with her. She may associate you with her going to the vet, etc. I hate the thought of her starting over, I'll pray for you both. Please keep helping her, you will be blessed for your efforts.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just read that ethoxyquin, which is present in some dog foods, can cause hair loss. Not to say that your dog food does, or that your cat ate enough of it, but you could take a look at this Pet Food Guide and see.
Try some of what has been suggested to get their tummies back to normal.
Get every human in the household to be very very calm about this including yourself, both felines are sponges for emotions.
If you can, I'd stop with the Revolution and test the theory as to whether she's having a bad reaction to that regarding the hair loss.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First off let me say thank you. You clearly have put a lot of love and care into trying to make her happy. I personally think you are amazing given all you and yours have gone through in the last 4 months.

I wouldn’t assume Ellie won’t be able to play with the kitten just because of the lack of teeth, I think if she just lets him know her limits the kitten can work within them. That said, this is not the young cat you were hoping for as a playmate....if you do keep her, do you think you will to get another cat for the kitten to play with? It sounds like the group you got her from is great and it won’t be the worse thing if you do need to give her back. In the end if might just not be the right fit for either you or Ellie and if she does go back she goes back with some important information to help her next adopter.

What is your personal feelings towards Ellie? Will you get heartbroken if she goes back? What about the kids? Normally I would suggest waiting longer and trying new things but you have given it 4 months and sometimes the fit just isn’t right. There isn’t any shame in that. It’s not as if you are going to give her up to a shelter where her life would be on the line. It could be that she needed to come to you so people could find out this information and then find her perfect human. However if you feel as if you and the family is already attached there are still things to try. I know if I was in your place I would be beating myself up and I just wanted to say that you are doing great, I don’t think it’s you. I hope you are venting to someone and getting all this frustration out and not letting it eat you up inside :grouphug:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
well, I know you-all are cutting the rescue a lot of slack, but when medical records are available, 10 years old is a heck of a long way from 2, no matter the size of the cat.
I for one am not impressed, but that's because I've heard of this kind of thing before even though I get it, they're in it for her lifetime... Other readers and lurkers, adopters beware as best as you can.

In any case, be that as it may, you still have the issue before you and in your household. I am keeping my fingers crossed that there isn't anything else besides bad teeth and too many food changes, meds, anesthesia and stress.

I hope that you're able to get tummies squared away, that she calms down in a quiet space that's just for her, that your kitten and your kids wear each other out and that you make whatever decision knowing you did the very best by this cat. :redheartpump: To me it's telling that she behaves so differently when "an experienced cat person visits" as compared to how she behaves with you, in that she doesn't approach you except minimally.

Maybe this little gal really does need someone else, and
It could be that she needed to come to you so people could find out this information and then find her perfect human.
Rather than giving up on her, think about all you've done for her, and the additional gift you might be giving her if you take her back, and have the rescue step up to the plate with a younger feline for you-all.

Christinathenewcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First off let me say thank you. You clearly have put a lot of love and care into trying to make her happy. I personally think you are amazing given all you and yours have gone through in the last 4 months.

I wouldn’t assume Ellie won’t be able to play with the kitten just because of the lack of teeth, I think if she just lets him know her limits the kitten can work within them. That said, this is not the young cat you were hoping for as a playmate....if you do keep her, do you think you will to get another cat for the kitten to play with? It sounds like the group you got her from is great and it won’t be the worse thing if you do need to give her back. In the end if might just not be the right fit for either you or Ellie and if she does go back she goes back with some important information to help her next adopter.

What is your personal feelings towards Ellie? Will you get heartbroken if she goes back? What about the kids? Normally I would suggest waiting longer and trying new things but you have given it 4 months and sometimes the fit just isn’t right. There isn’t any shame in that. It’s not as if you are going to give her up to a shelter where her life would be on the line. It could be that she needed to come to you so people could find out this information and then find her perfect human. However if you feel as if you and the family is already attached there are still things to try. I know if I was in your place I would be beating myself up and I just wanted to say that you are doing great, I don’t think it’s you. I hope you are venting to someone and getting all this frustration out and not letting it eat you up inside :grouphug:
This just made me tear up. Thank you for the kind words. I love her. I love all animals. I wanted a young playmate that was going to be around for my kitten. I felt guilty about adopting a kitten in the first place so I wanted to help an adult cat too.

I'm attached to her in the sense that I want to help her and because I've heard about how awesome she was at foster mom's. We are all so dedicated to our zoo and I just hate the thought of failure. I don't want to be the cause to her misery. Its haunting me that I ruined her stability at her Foster's.

And yes, I do want a second cat for the kitten. I opted to rescue a second so quickly because 1. the kitten is probably the coolest pet I've ever met, and 2. I was told a friend would help keep Fin out of trouble and he wouldn't bond as well if I waited.

I'm definitely going to try a new food, separation, a calmer, and leaving her be to destress for a bit. I'm thinking about going back to the original food. At least she will eat it and the kitten won't have diarrhea???

Btw, for the person who asked the kitten's age... Fin is 7 months.