I think my neighbor just dumped his cat.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so happy for you and for Olivia!! She looks so much better already. My sister has a little feral kitten, she is just starting to play after a week of just lying around. That is a good sign that they are feeling better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's still got bald spots, and sore spots--you can't see them, they're on her legs and belly--but she's doing better. What's more encouraging to me than new fur (which she seems to be getting some of) is the way that her skin is starting to be pink, not red, and when you pet her she feels soft, like a cat should, instead of rough and scabby and you're scare you'll hurt her.

Oh, and I know for a fact she reacts to catnip. Lick, lick, lick, and then she lies down in it like she's claiming it. Silly thing!

Does it make sense that she might have been mourning her old owner's dumping her? I mean, sure, he was a jerk to her, but most likely it is the only home she had ever known...

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

Does it make sense that she might have been mourning her old owner's dumping her? I mean, sure, he was a jerk to her, but most likely it is the only home she had ever known...
I don't see why not, she didn't know that he was a jerk, it was all she'd ever known. I took one of my dogs from a situation of horrible neglect, but until they moved away he would still go straight to his old house if he got loose.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, they mourn. One of my foster boys wandered around my house for days, crying and looking for someone... or something.... It made me very sad. He's come around, tho'.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's funny, I almost feel like I am trying to raise a kitten--she constantly demands attention, she's socially clumsy (no, shy Christy does not want to play, and Livvy doesn't get it!), she runs around the room like she's got the kitten crazies, pounces on things as though she's never seen a dangling bedsheet before, doesn't know how to wait for treats or how to play with toys or anything. She begs for food but she does it when her bowl's full or empty, either one, like she doesn't get that the bowl gets filled when it's empty, not when it's full... Like she never learned to be a cat or something. Oh, and for some reason she's intrigued by the fact that my desk is transparent, and she can see my fingers typing through the top but can't touch them. Surely she's encountered windows before!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You sound like you're describing some adopted children I've heard of.

We see it all the time at the shelter. Cats come in who have been kept by people, but seem to have had no experiences during that time.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's called "cat lover can't resist crying cat"...

Check this out! Such a cute picture--she's lying on top of my computer monitor enjoying the warmth...

Livvy has been acting like a hyper kitten, running back and forth, pouncing on all and sundry... Christy officially hates her, so she's glad that Livvy is still in the kitchen most of the time! Here's hoping the kitten thing dies down a bit, or she finds out that toys can be played with even when you are not being encouraged to do so by a meddling human female

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have done a wonderful job fixing her up. She may not be 100% yet, but the difference in her photos is amazing. She looks like he is in 7th heaven on top of you computer monitor.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Olivia update

Olivia was well enough to move to the no-kill shelter about six weeks after I first rescued her. She was spayed soon after, and the ominous lumps started shrinking. The vet says she probably had inflamed lymph nodes or something along those lines, because as soon as she stopped constantly going into heat, the lumps vanished!

She stays is in a room with five other cats at the shelter; she wants to rule the roost, and is quick to smack another cat if they get out of line! She is also enamored of the computer (this particular room contains the computer where they set up Petfinder profiles and such) and will "help" anybody who happens to be using it.

Her fur has grown back and she has filled out to probably about nine pounds, the normal weight for a cat her size. She's very pretty, and she'd make anybody a great cat, with two requirements: She gets freaked out by the shelter dogs, so no dogs. And two, she wants a big, covered litter pan, otherwise she'll drape her butt over the edge! She's up for adoption now.

At her last appointment, the vet did not believe it was the same cat! See for yourself.

If you compare that to the picture on the first page, which I took soon after I found her... wow, you wouldn't think she was the same cat either.

Anybody in the market for a cute, bossy little black-and-white kitty?

Olivia's Petfinder page:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=15037448

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOOK AT HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a wonderful, wonderful thing you did for her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I bet the vet didn't recognize her!

...and I love her petfinder page!

she finds a great furrever home soon!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow. What a transformation! She's such a beautiful girl.
Bless you for coming to her aid.
Sending many vibes for her quick adoption to a wonderful home.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! She looks gorgeous! She's lucky to have been found by the right person.