I think my cat was bitten by spider

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Smokie! I'm so sorry he is feeling so terrible. I know you are waiting for the biopsy results, but I would really consider getting a 2nd opinion from a different vet. Maybe call one and tell him everything that's going on, what Smokie is taking, etc. They may have an opinion.

Sending lots of get well wishes for the beautiful Smokie.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Smokie
Sending lots of good vibes his way
Hope he is back to his old self real soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carisue1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Smokie got the biopsy result today. I had taken him in this morning, he was having a terrible time over the weekend and not eating and he was having a lot of difficulty breathing. They started with giving him fluids and putting him in a nebulizer (steam room with mentholatum) He was dehydrated.
The "spider bite" turned out to be squamous cell carcinoma after all. He unfortunately had to be put to sleep.
I love him so much, I could not let him suffer anymore. I am sorry I went to all the tests and surgery, I just really strongly believed it was something else.
He was looking for a place to die this morning around 3am, he went down to the basement and found a dark corner. He never goes to the basement. So, I knew what he was trying to tell me. Thank you all for your support. My beautiful boy is gone.

malakaiii

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh dear.

I am so sorry to hear about Smokie. But you gave him sooo much love throughout his life and you were there for him near the end when he needed you the most. He was such a lucky boy to have someone so loving looking out for him and helping him fight his battle.

I am so sorry for your loss. Cats and people everywhere thank you for the stunning example you've made in taking care of Smokie in his final days. You really did go the extra mile.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carisue1

Smokie got the biopsy result today. I had taken him in this morning, he was having a terrible time over the weekend and not eating and he was having a lot of difficulty breathing. They started with giving him fluids and putting him in a nebulizer (steam room with mentholatum) He was dehydrated.
The "spider bite" turned out to be squamous cell carcinoma after all. He unfortunately had to be put to sleep.
I love him so much, I could not let him suffer anymore. I am sorry I went to all the tests and surgery, I just really strongly believed it was something else.
He was looking for a place to die this morning around 3am, he went down to the basement and found a dark corner. He never goes to the basement. So, I knew what he was trying to tell me. Thank you all for your support. My beautiful boy is gone.
I am so sorry to hear about Smokie.

I am sending prayers and hugs from Mississippi for you and your precious Smokie

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry.

Please take comfort in the fact that you really did everything you could for Smokie. You went above and beyond for him. He knew that he was loved.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about Smokie

Tumors can be tricky things. I lost my Roo to a tumor in her sinus.

RIP Smokie

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You cant blame yourself for making sure it was cancer and not a spider bite. Look at how many other people on here thought it could have been a spider bite. I dont think I saw ONE post saying that they agreed it looked like cancer...

I'm so sorry you lost your baby. I'm sure he knew what a great momma you where to him.

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to read this.
It was real hard for me to eccept that Tuffy probably had FIP and would be gone soon. I kept hoping that the tests would show something that could be treated. But no such luck.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

I'm so sorry.

Please take comfort in the fact that you really did everything you could for Smokie. You went above and beyond for him. He knew that he was loved.
Yes you did, you were wonderful.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you did a great job keeping him comfortable. RIP Smokie

carisue1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I keep calling my other cat Smo..-Duffie. I realize after reading more info on squamous cell carcinoma, Smokie spent his whole life sitting in the sun spot. If there was a sunspot anywhere in the room that is where you would find Smokie. He just loved sleeping in the sun. I don't go in the sun, I know better, but I never even thought that my cat might need sunscreen. My mom suggested I let the puppy use my new covered litter box with the steps and without even thinking I said,"no, that is Smokie's box." I just wonder how long it takes to remember that your cat is not here anymore.
You have all been wonderful to me and thanks for believing in me and holding out hope for Smokie. It helped more than you'll ever know. I guess until all is said and done, it is best to keep hope.
Momma loves you so much Smokie Joe, I miss you tremendously. Bye sweet baby.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that Smokey is gone, but you know that he was loved and knew it too. You did so much for him in every way possible. It iwll be so hard, especially since he has occupied so much of your time and thoughts over hte past weeks, but I hope that in time you remember only the good things.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shorty14788

You cant blame yourself for making sure it was cancer and not a spider bite. Look at how many other people on here thought it could have been a spider bite. I dont think I saw ONE post saying that they agreed it looked like cancer...

I'm so sorry you lost your baby. I'm sure he knew what a great momma you where to him.
you did what he needed to help him. he's healthy & happy, now.
to you during this painful time...

carisue1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All I can do is think about him. I keep calling Duffie, Smokie by mistake. I am having him privately cremated and got an urn for his ashes. They will be returning him to me in about 10 days.
My mom swears she sees the "ghost" of her one cat that was cremated. She has kept the ashes in a beautiful tin. I would not mind seeing Smokie wandering around the house every now and again.
I hope he knows how sorry I am that I had to let him go. I hope he knows that it was for the best. Even though it doesn't feel that way right now. I just want some more time with him so badly.

calico76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you lost this special furbaby.
You did the right thing, you loved him to the very end and he knew it.

Play carefree over the bridge darling Smokie!

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about Smokie he was really a beautiful cat from his picture. I was really hoping it was just a spider bite and the swelling would go down.

You did the right thing though. You took good care of him.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carisue1

All I can do is think about him. I keep calling Duffie, Smokie by mistake. I am having him privately cremated and got an urn for his ashes. They will be returning him to me in about 10 days.
My mom swears she sees the "ghost" of her one cat that was cremated. She has kept the ashes in a beautiful tin. I would not mind seeing Smokie wandering around the house every now and again.
I hope he knows how sorry I am that I had to let him go. I hope he knows that it was for the best. Even though it doesn't feel that way right now. I just want some more time with him so badly.
I know excatly how you feel, we had to put our beloved Sambo to sleep almost a year ago, I still call our other dog Opie, Sambo by mistake too.

And there are times I would give up everything I own just to be able to hold Sambo again.

Please know that Smokie knows that you loved him and you were doing all that you could for him.One of the things that helps me when I miss Sambo so bad is to think of all the good times we had with him. But the main thing is I KNOW that Sambo is healthy again, he can see, he can run around, and I know how much fun he is having at the bridge.

I am sending you some hugs and prayers from Mississippi, I hope you start to feel better soon.