I think my cat is dying, should I continue with her meds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy1971

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, hope somebody can help me here.

My 17 year old cat Suzie was diagnosed with heart disease in June 2012 (she was originally given 6 weeks to live, but a year and a half later she's still with me).

Over the last couple of days she has begun to show the classic symptoms of a dying cat (disinterested in food, finding a quiet spot in the house, not seeming to know who I am and excessive sleeping).

She's currently on four lots of medication - Nelio, Cardisure, Tempura and Furesomide.

I don't know whether I should continue to administer the tablets as this may make her suffer more, or just simply let her go.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry.
 I think this is last and most difficult loving decision we have to make sometimes for our beloved pets. You know your cat best, and I'm sure she trusts you to make this decision for her after a long life with you. Does she seem in pain? Is she difficult to medicate? If she is capable of it, try to take her in your arms and ask her what she wants. Maybe she will give you a sign.

This thread may be of help and comfort to you. http://www.thecatsite.com/t/237066/when-the-moment-comes

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My goodness, 17 years old and outliving the prognosis by so much shows not only your love and care but also how much she loves you.  When it is time is something that only you can decide.  I know some people say you will know when it's time, I have always struggled with it.  I don't know if it's that I am not very sensitive or it's denial but I have always struggled with it.   http://www.veterinarypracticenews.c...olumns/bond-beyond/quality-of-life-scale.aspx   is a quality of life scale.  It's kind of a way to try to look at things with a little more objectivity.  It has helped some people know when it is time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andy1971

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thanks for replying.

She's always been really good at taking her tablets, after nearly 18 months on them I think she accepts it as part of her daily routine.

However last night was very difficult, she seemed really distressed while I was giving them to her and I'm worried that doing it again would bring on a heart attack and make her suffer.

I cuddled her for an hour last night and she just seemed to stare into space as I stroked her head.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How does she handle going to the vet? Maybe talking things over with your vet will as well as an exam may help.

andy1971

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's always been comfortable going to the vet for check ups, however in her present state I'm not sure I'd want to put her through the distress of putting her in her box and taking her.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel so sorry for the agony you are going through, it's truly heartbreaking. I pray that if it is her time to go she will peacefully go in her sleep. As long as she appears not to be in pain I would do as you are doing, holding her and saying goodbye with your soothing words and your tears, it means the world to her right now. Call your vet and see what they recommend about the meds, I'm sure they could give you advise on what to do, they have been through it many times. I cry for you and the pain you are going through, and I'll pray for you both.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it could be something as simple as dehydration which can really make one feel like garbage. It could be more complex like renal insufficiency. There's really no way to know without an exam and possibly blood work.

I'm sending many warm thoughts your way.

andy1971

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words.

She's had an amazing life and has been a fighter (she had a womb infection about 10 years ago, had a heart attack during the operation to remove her womb and she's amazed everybody at the vets by surviving for 18 months after being given 6 weeks to live!)

I don't think she's in pain but after being such a big part of my life for 17 years I know the hole in my life when she goes will be huge.

andy1971

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've decided to try giving her her tablets later tonight, though I'll stop if she shows any signs of distress.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've decided to try giving her her tablets later tonight, though I'll stop if she shows any signs of distress.
Will she eat the pill in a soft treat? Like cheese? Or in a little ball of tuna?

andy1971

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The problem there is that she's just not interested in food.

I bought her some fresh chicken earlier, which she loves and would normally eat, but she just didn't want it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Do you feel she's ready to go?

We lost a nearly 14-year-old cat to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) last year, and had been through the lethargy and lack of appetite a couple of times with him over a period of about 16 months. What the vets determined was that he didn't do at all well on diuretics, which very easily caused a potassium deficit. Although we tried several kinds of diuretics, both in pill and injectable form, various dosages, and potassium supplements, what we ended up doing was not giving them to him unless he had acute congestive heart failure. The pattern was that the diuretics helped his breathing but killed his appetite. Once we stopped the diuretics, his appetite would return and he perked up and enjoyed life again for weeks or months, until the CHF started again. As long as he was having far more good days than bad ones, we rode that roller coaster with him, as nervewracking as it was. The last few months of his life he refused all his medications, but ate, cuddled, watched out the windows, played a bit, took little walks in the yard with me and simply clung to life. The cardiologist expected him to die within days or weeks without his meds, but he did surprisingly well without them. He ultimately told us he was giving up the struggle. The look in his eyes was unmistakable, and he was put to sleep, probably hours or perhaps a day or two before he would have died on his own.

My greatest fear was that he would throw a clot and die in great pain, or die alone while we were at work or sound asleep. That very well could have happened. However, there seemed little point in torturing him with medications he didn't want to take anymore and which wouldn't have extended his life by much at that point. It became the same way with coaxing him to eat.

You're the only one who can really decide what's best for Suzie, and after 17 years you're probably very attuned to her needs and wants. If you think she's telling you she wants to be allowed to pass peacefully, all you can do is base your decision on that.

for Suzie and you.

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry for what you and your cat are having to go through. I know because of your love that you will make the right decision for Suzie. Hugs and prayers.

andy1971

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Jcat, she's just had her tablets with no real sign of distress, and has even had a drink of milk, though she still doesn't want food.

I cuddled her after she had her tablets and she seemed a little happier.

andy1971

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm regretting giving her the tablets now, she went back to her 'nest', sat up and threw up all of her tablets and her milk.

She then just seemed to collapse, I thought she was about to die. She's quiet now and I've covered her with her blanket to keep her warm.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey Andy, I am sorry this is happening to your cat. Do you think the milk maybe upset her stomach. Did she throw up the whole pill.

andy1971

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know if she threw all the pills up, it seemed to be mainly milk.

She's had an upset stomach a couple of times since she was first diagnosed and had the odd day when she's been off her food, but this is the worst she's been since she first became ill in 2012.

She hasn't moved since she collapsed and I'm just stroking her and making her feel loved.

Status
Not open for further replies.