I think my cat is dying and I don't know if I should keep forcing meds down her throat

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would talk to the vet before crushing medications. Crushing medications changes how they are absorbed.
Yes, definitely. When I talked to my vet about this, because I was no longer willing to put Pearl through the stress of pilling, we did have to adjust the form of some of her meds. One was crushable, one was changed to a liquid form because it could not be crushed and remain as effective.

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How is your kitty doing?
We had a yellow lab go thru this. Eventually the lasix stopped working and we had to say goodbye. He was barely 7
Been wondering how your making out...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

murrayhill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet said it was a much more common condition in dogs. I'm sorry to hear about your lab :( It's so hard to try everything you can to help them and not be able to make them better. They're about the same age.

The past couple of weeks have been shaky and exhausting. But she seems to have regained her strength and doing better! Last week, she had stopped eating again after I increased the Lasix. Then she was having naseua and major salivating and drooling issues. I couldn't get anything near her mouth let alone go down b/c she just gagged and drooled it all out. But by yesterday, she started eating almost normally and seemed like the old Roxy!! It's awesome b/c she was looking pretty sad the past two weeks and so was I. Looking back, I don't think her breathing ever was normal but I had no idea :(. I hope that she keeps eating and the Lasix keeps working. She's back to 1 dose per day and I worry about her getting sick again or throwing a clot but for now, I'm just hoping to find the right balance and she keeps this up. Then I can start giving her the Plavix and Enalapril. I feel lucky to have her back for a while.

Thanks for asking and for all the information! This forum is so great and there are so many helpful and kind people. It helped me so much.

poppysmummy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so, so happy for you right now honestly. I've been waiting on an update fearing the worst! Good on you for looking after her so well! Hopefully she has turned a corner :)

ktknievel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad she is feeling a bit more herself, I think almost all of us here know how awful this kind of stress can be. I'm thinking of Roxy!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, if the once daily dose of Lasix isn't quite enough, that may be where the enalapril (ACE inhibitor) may come in handy. It's worth mentioning to the vet.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so hoping she will improve by leaps and bounds. You are such a better kitty-mum than I could ever be. I would not be able to deal with this.

Uplatestampin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Reading this post was very helpful to me as my cat is facing similar challenges. If I give her the furosemide she does not want to eat. She does seem fine with the enalapril though. My cat is also diabetic. The amount of money I have spent on her care will take me 2 years to pay back. I want to see her happy and comfortable and the furosemide seems to make her very ill. i will have to call the vet tomorrow but this post has given me a lot of insight. I hope your kitty did well.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Uplatestampin Uplatestampin and welcome to TCS! :wave3:
Thanks for your input. This is an old thread, so the people who were involved may not see it, but it's good to have your views.
I'm sorry your girl is unwell. If you would like to, you could start a thread about her, and perhaps introduce yourself in our New Cats on the Block forum?