I Think My Cat Has Anxiety...

MurderComplication

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had my three year old cat for a week tomorrow and after observing her I think she may have some form of anxiety. She has a small stuffed dog toy that she grooms and kneads - which she has had/done since she was a kitten. My friend says that she may have been taken from her mother to early as that is what her cat does but to a blanket.
As well, I was lying with her in my bed after work today, she was cuddled asleep under my blankets beside me. We've been lying there for at least 2 hours when she starts stirring and running around my room like a madwomen. She took about five minutes of cuddling and calming for her to go back to sleep.
She may also have separation anxiety as she always follows me from room to room and doesn't like not being beside me.
Any advice for caring for a cat with anxiety?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - the zoomies happen because the weather's changing, the litter box effort went well, a nap was a good nap, a whiff of something good just went by a sensitive nose, because the weather's changing again, because pent up/stored up energy needs an outlet :) --all good things.

Every cat I have had has paid me the inestimable compliment of liking my company enough to want to be in it all the time, to the point of putting me at a distinct disadvantage due to the syndrome of 'small-ish furry creature around sometimes klutzy human foot' with accompanying aauugh sounds and a little mild (or not so, depending) cussing LOL

Also, try and find another toy she likes - that one will wear out at some point, and you don't want to go through your bank account trying to find replacements - or, you might do that anyway, but it's always better when they actually LIKE the toys you provide.

Your new furbaby and you sounds to me as though this is one of those wonderful, charming and heartwarming success stories. I'm tickled pink, and I hope you both have a long life filled with joy and love (even if there's an 'OOF - darn it, cat!") in there now and then :p :rolleyes: :purr:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
With all that said, however, there is an answer to your question - she doesn't have anxiety, but she does need play time, both with you/interactive toys such as da bird, and real fur mice, kickaroos, chasetheball platter type toys, food puzzle toys. Pick and choose, and if you don't already, a scratcher or two will also help a little bit with a certain amount of energy release, and a way to climb, either a cat tree or shelves.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MurderComplication

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Currently she has her little puppy, a flat scratch mat with feather ball, 4 level cat tree - though she only uses two and a half right now, feather/ribbon/bell hand toy, a small round disk with a ball to push around with a scratch pad in the middle, and a treat ball. I guess that since the cat that I grew up with never had a problem with hissing at me and loving my mom - I never actually had a cat that exhibited any of these actions. I just finished 'feeding her', aka throwing her food around the room as she chases it down which seems to be her favorite. I am thinking of subscribing to a cat subscription box to try out different toys as she is an active cat and I'm working or in class for most of the day 4 days a week.